Local Report Printing Best Practices? RRS feed

• Question

• User97634337 posted

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buils some local reports into my ASP.NET 4 applcation, and these report have to print to the client PC's default printer without showing a reportviewer.

Now I have read about creating a byte stream in memory and saving that down to the client PC as PDF or any non specific format, But I am looking to just stream the document to the default printer directly. Is this even a possiblity?

The report type in question is something like a Goods Receipt note or jobcard, the format of the report will never change, it will just get updated with new info that is provided with the SQL server.

As a short term solution I have posted this report to my SSRS server, and a report viewer shows the formatted report in a jQuery Dialog box where the client can selectivly save the report or print to the printer, Keep in mind we are trying to keep the application as browser friendly as possible, meaning it should not be limited to only IE or FireFox.

Thanks In Advance

Jacques

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:12 AM

Answers

• User-1528094326 posted

As far as I know you cannot do what you are trying to achieve because the ReportViewer tools and API requires the activex control or javascript API for printing. This means it is still contained within the browsers security restrictions and functionality requirements. The only way you are going to be able to do it automatically is to use a plugin of some sort such as Flash or Silverlight or some other client plugin.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:39 AM

All replies

• User-1528094326 posted

As far as I know you cannot do what you are trying to achieve because the ReportViewer tools and API requires the activex control or javascript API for printing. This means it is still contained within the browsers security restrictions and functionality requirements. The only way you are going to be able to do it automatically is to use a plugin of some sort such as Flash or Silverlight or some other client plugin.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:39 AM
  • User97634337 posted

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the input I will keep this in mind.

Regards

Jacques

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:59 AM