Multiple Log Files RRS feed

• Question

• User2087407442 posted

I've seen a few threads about Advanced Logging creating multiple log files. From what I've seen it does this when you have the following:

1) Advanced Logging Enabled on a parent object (Default site)

2) "Start new log file when configuration changes" checked

When child objects (Virtual sites under the default) are accessed for the first time it sees that as a configuration modification and writes a new file. If you don't have "Start new log.." checked then it just starts a fresh session in the same log file.

Is everyone else seeing that same behavior?

For my case specifically; I have a probe page setup at the root of the site and 10+ virtual sites under the default site. I want a log file that specifically logs the probe page. I can do this with filters but I don't want to have to deal with the extra log files or false positive type messages in the log file. It's not a big deal but it definitely would be nice to have that cleaned up. This would be great if I could disable a Log Definition on child objects but I get errors when trying to modify/disable a Log Definition on child objects. I've seen that posted quite a bit so I'm guessing everyone is in the same boat.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:23 PM

All replies

• User989702501 posted
    I think the behavior is by design, if you want to 'manage' the log def of parent level, you need to do it at parent path not child or inherited branch.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:46 AM