none
Visual Studio 2013 VSTO not creating Word 2010 project RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to develop a Word Document add-in through Visual Studio 2013, using a Word 2012 Document selected from the Visual Studio project menu of Office/SharePoint Office Add-ins. It is needed to tie in SharePoint with a collaborative Word document. I keep getting the error:

Project cannot be created because the "Word Visual Studio Design-Time Adaptor Add-in" is not working correctly. Word might have disabled the add-in or made it inactive, or all add-ins might be disabled in your Trust Center settings.  Check the add-in status in Word Options.  If the add-in is active and enabled, reinstall or repair Visual Studio Tools for Office.

I have checked that there is no disabled add-ins in the Trust Center, and I do see the Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime in the Add-ins.  I cannot find any other options, as I have reinstalled the Visual Studio Tools for Office as well.

Where should I go from here?
    Friday, July 8, 2016 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hello Deepak,

The system that the project works on is a system on a development network, so I would say no, it is not the "same system."  At least, it is not configured the same.  The system it is working on IS using VS 2013 and Office 2010, like what I am trying to build a working project on, with the other troubling system, my original one that has this problem.  But, the security settings are not the same.

I CANNOT transfer a snapshot from the one system to this system, that I'm posting to you on.  But the error is the one that is the title of this support question, and I have posted earlier:

'Project cannot be created because the "Word Visual Studio Design-Time Adaptor Add-in" is not working correctly. Word might have disabled the add-in or made it inactive, or all add-ins might be disabled in your Trust Center settings.  Check the add-in status in Word.'

Also, the project is a Word 2010 Document, as I mentioned at the beginning of this support question:

'I'm trying to develop a Word Document add-in through Visual Studio 2013, using a Word 2012 Document selected from the Visual Studio project menu of Office/SharePoint Office Add-ins.'

Regards

Matt

• Marked as answer by mdewell Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:45 AM

All replies

• I'm trying to develop a Word Document add-in through Visual Studio 2013, using a Word 2012 Document selected from the Visual Studio project menu of Office/SharePoint Office Add-ins. It is needed to tie in SharePoint with a collaborative Word document. I keep getting the error:

Project cannot be created because the "Word Visual Studio Design-Time Adaptor Add-in" is not working correctly. Word might have disabled the add-in or made it inactive, or all add-ins might be disabled in your Trust Center settings.  Check the add-in status in Word

Options.  If the add-in is active and enabled, reinstall or repair Visual Studio Tools for Office.

I have checked that there is no disabled add-ins in the Trust Center, and I do see the Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime in the Add-ins.  I cannot find any other options, as I have reinstalled the Visual Studio Tools for Office as well.

Friday, July 8, 2016 2:21 PM

Project cannot be created because the "Word Visual Studio Design-Time Adaptor Add-in" is not working correctly. Word might have disabled the add-in or made it inactive, or all add-ins might be disabled in your Trust Center settings.  Check the add-in status in Word

Options.  If the add-in is active and enabled, reinstall or repair Visual Studio Tools for Office.

To the VSTO forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vsto

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Friday, July 8, 2016 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

Check if WINWORD.EXE is running in the Task Manager, end all WINWORD.EXE process.

Sometimes, even we fails to create a document customization, Word/Excel process is still running and it causes the design-time adaptor error when we create again.

Saturday, July 9, 2016 12:39 PM
  • Hi mdewell,

please go to the Developer Tab in Word Application.

in the Addins group you will find the option "Com Addins". click on that.

can you see the option "Visual Studio Tool for Office Design-Time Adaptor for Word" is checked?

it will looks like below.

if it is not checked then please try to check it first and again try to create Addin in visual studio.

if still you are not able to create Addin then Go to Word Application again and then click on file menu then select "Options". Go to the "Trust Center". then click on "Trust Center Settings". go to the Addins and make sure "Disable All Application Addins" option is Unchecked. 

if still the issue exist then go to the control panel in your computer. open "Add or Remove programs" then find "Visual Studio Tools For Office" then Right click on that and select Repair.

Hope this solves your issue.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 11, 2016 2:28 AM
  • I think I have found a potential answer to what's going on.  In the Trust Center, the 'Disable all macros with notification' is checked, so it appears the VSTO Design-Time Adaptor for Word is unchecked until the 'Enable' button has been clicked at the top of the Document window.  Then it seems everything is OK.

Is there anyway to build a VSTO Word Document in Visual Studio solution, but just creating the Solution/Project without the actual Word Doc it's going to use, initially, and then adding a Word Document to the project after it has loaded all the needed development tools?  That's my current thinking on how to handle this issue, besides disabling the security setting for the 'Disable all macros ..', as that's an endeavour to go through.

I know once the document has been created, the people that will need to use it have to click the enable button initially, to utilize all the coding that has gone on behind the scenes.  I'm just thinking that the project could be started and then have the Word document added later to deal with the disabled macros that include the VSTO DLLs.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thank You

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:28 PM
  •  >>In the Trust Center, the 'Disable all macros with notification' is checked, so it appears the VSTO Design-Time Adaptor for Word is unchecked until the 'Enable' button has been clicked at the top of the Document window.  Then it seems everything is OK.

Did you fix the issue if you enabled macro?

I can't agree with your point above. There is no certain correlation between macro settings and VSTO design-time adaptor. And If I disable all macro with notification, I can still successfully create a new document project in VS.

The problem results from other parts. 

Did you follow the steps Deepak suggested and how did it go?

Make sure VSTO design-time adaptor add-in is selected and its loadbehavior is "Load at Startup", or check the registry and ensure its loadbehavior value is 3. End all Winword.exe in your task manager then repair Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime.   

>>creating the Solution/Project without the actual Word Doc it's going to use, initially, and then adding a Word Document to the project after it has loaded all the needed development tools?

I think we cannot build a document-level customization without the document.

However, if we have a customization assembly, we can attach it to a document using ServerDocument class. See How to: Attach Managed Code Extensions to Documents

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 3:49 PM
  • Thanks for the response, Hibari,

I know that the VSTO Runtime loads at startup, because it's in the list of disabled applications, until I click enable and the VSTO Runtime is enable.  I want to believe you about the macro settings, but that's all I can figure out about this.  Yet, the network policy doesn't allow me to alter all my default settings in Word.

I have the code working on another system, and it's disable macros option is checked as well, so that's why I want to agree with you on the no correlation.  Yet, again, that's all I can guess at.

Do you have any other thoughts?

Thank You

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Hi,

Generally,"Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime" is simply called VSTORuntime. We may be confused if you call VSTO design-time adaptor add-in as VSTORuntime. but i dont know the add-in's name for short. :)

>>it's in the list of disabled applications, until I click enable and the VSTO Runtime is enable.

It seems that i have misunderstood you for your original post. Please see the picture below and this is the correct location of the design-time adaptor add-in.

Where does "in the list of disabled applications" refer to? Do you refer to this location i show in the following picture?As we know, if one add-in causes Office application crash, office will hard-disable it and it will appear here.However, VSTO design-time adaptor is a built-in add-in of VSTO, generally speaking,it wont be hard-disabled. 

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:16 PM
  • Hi mdewell,

can you please show us by sharing the pic what you are actually checking?

The other thing you had mentioned about macro.

macro is a different thing and Addin is a different thing.

and between these both there is no relation.

you had mentioned that , "Then it seems everything is OK."

Are you able to create project now?

if you are not following the exactly what we had suggested you in last posts then please try to follow the steps again and let us know about the results.

if you having any problems in following the steps then please let us know so that we can try to provide you further suggestions.

other thing you had mentioned that ,"I know once the document has been created, the people that will need to use it have to click the enable button initially, to utilize all the coding that has gone on behind the scenes.  I'm just thinking that the project could be started and then have the Word document added later to deal with the disabled macros that include the VSTO DLLs."

I think you have misunderstanding regarding Macro and Addins.

so I think first you need to clear it there is no relation between macro and addin.

you want to develop project without document and want to add the document later.

in that case you can create application level addin which can work for every document.

but let me tell you that is not a document level customization.

you think that by using this approach you can solve the issue.

no, the situation will remain same.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:52 AM
  • Hello Deepak and Hibari,

I think there are stipulations by our network security that won't allow it to work.  It seems that once you click on the 'Enable Content' at the top, when Word opens, the Runtime is checked.  By default it is not allowed to be enable.

The network block stops the VSTO when you try to create a new project, from the fact that Word, by default, doesn't have the Runtime enabled.  At least that's the conclusion I am coming to.  Yet I even tried copying over the project that was already created on another computer, but it still brought up the error, when I tried to open that solution.

As to the image, I don't have Visual Studio installed, that I could show you the error with, on this computer that has links to the outside world.  Sorry.  For right now I'm going to give up, but maybe once we move to Office 2013, I can use Office.js to solve my issue.

Thank You,

Matt

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 7:36 PM
  • Hi mdewell,

still I think that you are out of the track.

you had mentioned about "Enable Content". does it looks like below?

if yes then it is not related with VSTO. it is related with macro. it will not affect in any way to create VSTO Project.

I think that your conclusion is not correct.

if you try to confirm that you had followed the steps mentioned in my last post then we can try to understand the situation and can suggest you further.

Regards

Deepak

Thursday, July 21, 2016 6:14 AM
  • Thanks Deepak,

It actually reads:

Some active content has been disabled.  Click for more Details "Enable Content"

not:

Macros have been disabled "Enable Content"

Any other thoughts?

Thank You

Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:39 PM
  • Hi mdewell

do you mean you get the warning like above. please visit the link below.

Add, remove, or view a trusted publisher

still its not related with VSTO.

Regards

Deepak

Friday, July 22, 2016 4:50 AM
  • Hello Deepak,

That looks like it might work, but I am using Office 2010, so your link to Office 2016 doesn't help me.  Do you know where and how I can add the Trusted Publisher for Office 2010?  I searched Google, but only got Office 2007 and Office 2016.

I'm not blaming VSTO.  I want to get VSTO to work for me, and it appears that the disabled VSTO runtime is keeping from me creating a VS project solution of the VSTO Word Document 2010 option.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Thank You,

Matt

Friday, July 22, 2016 10:17 AM
  • Hi mdewell,

you had mentioned that, "but I am using Office 2010, so your link to Office 2016 doesn't help me."

this link support Office 2010 to Office 2016 all versions.

if you click on "More" option then you will find the supported versions. I have posted below the pic of it.

simply I am saying that these all the things will not affect the creation of VSTO project.

I don't understand why you think that because of this reason you are not able to create VSTO project.

just follow the steps that I had mentioned you before some days ago and post the snap shots here. so that we can try to give you some useful suggestions to solve your issue instead of just checking random things which are not related with VSTO.

Regards

Deepak

Monday, July 25, 2016 5:59 AM
  • Hello Deepak,

You seem to be a little rude.  But maybe I'm interpreting your answers wrong.

I do not have these options, per the webpage you suggested.  So, I don't believe I am randomly trying things.

To view details about code and the publisher after a security warning

1.    click the File tab.

2.    In the Security Warning area, click Enable Content > Advanced Options.

In Microsoft Office Security Options, Office displays additional information about the cause of the security warning, including any information about the publisher that is included with the publisher's code.

Though, again, you think I am trying to randomly assert that VSTO is the problem, I'm curious why you would think I am blatantly accusing it of this.  I want to get it to work for me.  VSTO is not the problem, it is Word, from what I can tell.  I have gotten the VSTO Word 2010 Document .NET Framework 4 to work for me on another machine, but not on the same network, with the same security.  Again, from what I can tell, unless I find a way to add my internal site as a trusted publisher, as you suggest, though insincerely, and partially unknowledgeable as to my system setup, that is the reasoning I have to fall back on.

The site you suggested, still does not give me instructions on adding a Trusted Site, in Word 2010, of my system setup.  I have not File Tab, or Security Warning Area, for finding the Enable Content > Advanced Options

Thank you, anyway, for your help

Maybe we can solve this.

Monday, July 25, 2016 11:51 AM
  • Hi mdewell,

you had mentioned that ,"You seem to be a little rude."

No, I am not rude.

I also want that VSTO work for you on your side.

you had mentioned ," I have gotten the VSTO Word 2010 Document .NET Framework 4 to work for me on another machine"

is visual studio 2013 is installed on that machine? is everything is same between that machine and your machine?

it is better if you share the snapshot of creating VSTO project on your machine.

which project you had selected when you create project?

Regards

Deepak

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 8:14 AM
  • Hello Deepak,

The system that the project works on is a system on a development network, so I would say no, it is not the "same system."  At least, it is not configured the same.  The system it is working on IS using VS 2013 and Office 2010, like what I am trying to build a working project on, with the other troubling system, my original one that has this problem.  But, the security settings are not the same.

I CANNOT transfer a snapshot from the one system to this system, that I'm posting to you on.  But the error is the one that is the title of this support question, and I have posted earlier:

'Project cannot be created because the "Word Visual Studio Design-Time Adaptor Add-in" is not working correctly. Word might have disabled the add-in or made it inactive, or all add-ins might be disabled in your Trust Center settings.  Check the add-in status in Word.'

Also, the project is a Word 2010 Document, as I mentioned at the beginning of this support question:

'I'm trying to develop a Word Document add-in through Visual Studio 2013, using a Word 2012 Document selected from the Visual Studio project menu of Office/SharePoint Office Add-ins.'

Regards

Matt

• Marked as answer by mdewell Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:45 AM
  • Hi mdewell,

before providing a next suggestion I want to confirm that which values are set in the Trust Center and in the Addins options.

please check it and confirm here.

Regards

Deepak

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:18 AM
  • On the system that doesn't work, the Trust Center Settings/Add-ins has the following checked:

• Require Applications Add-ins to be signed by Trusted Publisher
    • Disable notification for unsigned add-ins (code will remain disabled)

These are also greyed out.  As well, there are no entries in the Trusted Publishers section.  Is there a way I can add myself to that?

Thank You,

Matt

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 4:31 PM
  • Hi mdewell,

can you try to Repair the VSTO.

To Repair the VSTO. Go to the Control panel.

click on program and features.

then in the list find the setup of VSTO and Repair it.

Then again try to create a project and let me know what result you get.

Regards

Deepak

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:40 AM
  • Hello Deepak,

I have tried the repair several times with no success.

V/R

Matt

Thursday, August 4, 2016 10:39 AM
  • Hi mdewell,

you had mentioned that ,"you tried to Repair VSTO with no success."

did you got any error? or something else?

if you got any error please tell me the Description of Error.

Regards

Deepak

Friday, August 5, 2016 8:31 AM
  • Hi mdewell,

you had mentioned that ,"you tried to Repair VSTO with no success."

did you got any error? or something else?

if you got any error please tell me the Description of Error.

Regards

Deepak

Friday, August 5, 2016 8:35 AM
  • Hello Deepak,

I ran the repair and it still gives me the same results, when I try creating a VSTO project.  That's what I me4an  by "no success", i.e. it still gives me the same error.  So this solution, that I have already tried, is useless.

V/R

Matt

Friday, August 5, 2016 10:17 AM
  • Hi mdewell,

Here I think I had suggest you all the things that can cause this issue.

now only the thing remains that is the Security settings of your server.

in your earlier post you had mentioned that security settings for both machines are different.

can you tell me how your machine is configured.

so that I can study regarding that try to find the root cause for this issue.

Regards

Deepak

Monday, August 8, 2016 7:14 AM