none
OLE DB connection fails with Office 2013 32-bit on Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• We have an InfoPath (Office component) application that has an OLE DB connection to an Excel .xlsx spreadsheet.  Works fine on Windows 7 with Office 2010, but the connection fails with an "unspecified error" on Windows 8 if 32-bit Office 2013 is installed.

The build environment is Windows 7 64-bit, InfoPath 2010 32-bit.  Users are using 64-bit systems.  The resulting InfoPath form runs fine on Windows 7, either Office 2010 or 2013, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office.  It also runs fine on Windows 8 but only with the 64-bit versions of Office 2010 or 2013.

The connection string being used is:

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\Corral\Mapping B 2-4.xlsx;Mode=Read;Extended Properties="Excel 12.0 Xml;HDR=YES;IMEX=1;"

I haven't found a new connection string and suspect it's a driver problem, but am wondering why it's suddenly appeared on Windows 8 and only with Office 32-bit versions.

Anyone?

Friday, July 12, 2013 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  I have patience.  Have you made any progress on finding an answer?

Paul

Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:18 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Given that your "application" is written in InfoPath, there is no specific reason I know of that they connection string would work on 64-bit Office but not 32-bit Office.

If this was a custom application, I would suspect that the app was 64-bit which would prevent it from finding the 32-bit drivers, but given that InfoPath is part of Office it must be the same bit-level (i.e. 32-bit on the problem machines).

My first suggestion would be to manually open the "C:\Corral\Mapping B 2-4.xlsx" file on the problem machine in Excel to make sure there are no problems with the file.

Next, with Excel 2013 open, check if you have a "click to run" install of Office by going to: "File \ Account". If you see an "Office Updates" section with an "Update Options" button under the "Product Information" (third column) then you most likely have a "click to run" install.

If you find you do have a "click to run" install, I would suggest testing on a machine with a traditional MSI install.

Best Regards,

Donald M.
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Donald,

Thank you for your response.

The Excel worksheet in question opens fine with 32-bit Office 2010.

We do not see an "Office Updates" section under the Excel "File \ Account" screen in Office 2013.  Our versions of Excel are installed via our company's Microsoft Software Center, so we neither directly touch an MSI file nor, apparently, have a "click to run" install.

The problem persists.  Since we can't guarantee every user of this InfoPath application will be running a 64-bit version of Office, we would like to get this problem solved.

Is there any additional information I could provide that would help solve this?

Paul

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:18 PM