none
Visual Studio 2010 with .NET Framework 4.5 and Entity Framework 5 RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to fine the answer myself, so hopefully somebody can:

This page EF5 Release Candidate Available on NuGet states:

EF 5 includes bug fixes to the 4.3.1 release and a number of new features. Most of the new features are only available in applications targeting .NET 4.5, see the Compatibility section for more details.

Sow, I need .NET Framework 4.5

this page .NET Framework System Requirements states that Windows 7 (all editions) is are suported for .NET 4.5

But I what I want to know is: Can I develop with .NET 4.5 and Entity Framework 5 in Visual Studio 2010?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:52 PM

Answers

• AFAIK no. The pattern is that each time you have a new version of .NET then you have a new version of VS that allows to develop up to this new version (and if I remember we never have support for the new framework in a "previous" VS version).

Have you actually seen the compatibility section ? :

"Some features are only available when writing an application that targets .NET 4.5. This includes enum support, spatial data types, table-valued functions and the performance improvements. If you are targeting .NET 4.0 you still get all the bug fixes and other minor improvements."

So unless you really need some of those new features your best best is IMO to keep using VS 2010/.NET Framework 4. Else you'll have to target .NET Framework 4.5 and use VS 11 (which is currently a preview).

Please always mark whatever response solved your issue so that the thread is properly marked as "Answered".

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Ok I tend to forgot about that as we usually have what we ask for :-)

For now VS 11 is not out and is available freely (but has an expiration date, you'll have soon another beta release). You'll also likely have as usual the free Express editions once it is out.

You could also use an alternate IDE ?

Finally keep perhaps an eye on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/hh487282.aspx that lists VS 2010 targeting packs hoping for 4.5 support but it would be an unusual move even though 4.5 is itself a bit unusual...

Please always mark whatever response solved your issue so that the thread is properly marked as "Answered".

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:55 PM

All replies

• AFAIK no. The pattern is that each time you have a new version of .NET then you have a new version of VS that allows to develop up to this new version (and if I remember we never have support for the new framework in a "previous" VS version).

Have you actually seen the compatibility section ? :

"Some features are only available when writing an application that targets .NET 4.5. This includes enum support, spatial data types, table-valued functions and the performance improvements. If you are targeting .NET 4.0 you still get all the bug fixes and other minor improvements."

So unless you really need some of those new features your best best is IMO to keep using VS 2010/.NET Framework 4. Else you'll have to target .NET Framework 4.5 and use VS 11 (which is currently a preview).

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:23 PM
  • I really would like to use the upcoming enum support; that's why I'm hoping that I can develop EF5 and .NET4.5 within VS2010.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:54 PM
  • Hi Duracell1989;

According to the documentation you can run .Net 4.5 with Visual Studio 2010 but in order to do so you need to install .Net Framework 4.5 Beta.This also means you will need to load / install it on the system/s your application will be running on. I would NOT do that. But if you want to install in on your machine and develop you application and do not distribute the application until the official release comes out then I think that would be fine. But remember when you do release one of the requirements for installing your app is to upgrade to .Net 4.5 when it comes out.

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Hi,

For now I can't find something that clearly says this is not possible but this is the usual pattern. What is the issue in using VS 11 if you want to target .NET 4.5 anyway ?

The closest I can find is http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/03/28/round-tripping-with-visual-studio-11.aspx where it says that round-triping will work with VS 2010 SP1 and VS 11 for "all projects targeting .NET 2.0 to 4.0 and Silverlight 4 to 5" so it seems to imply that targeting .NET 4.5 with VS 2010 SP1 is not possible.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:51 AM
  •  What is the issue in using VS 11 if you want to target .NET 4.5 anyway ?

The 'issue' is that I'm working at a small company and if I can keep using VS2010 with the latest .NET Framework and the new Entity Framework; I don't have to buy VS11 (at least, not at this moment) and that will make my boss happy :-)

Furthermore, I only want to use the new Entity Framework and I don't really need a new VS or a new .NET Framework.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Has the problem of adding update-able views as entities and treat them as tables been fixed in EF5?
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Ok I tend to forgot about that as we usually have what we ask for :-)

For now VS 11 is not out and is available freely (but has an expiration date, you'll have soon another beta release). You'll also likely have as usual the free Express editions once it is out.

You could also use an alternate IDE ?

Finally keep perhaps an eye on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/hh487282.aspx that lists VS 2010 targeting packs hoping for 4.5 support but it would be an unusual move even though 4.5 is itself a bit unusual...

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:55 PM
  • As far as i remember you could develop in 3.5 in the same visual studio as for 3.0 ( version 2008 if i remember correctly ),

so the pattern only goes if the version number before the dot changes.

so 4.5 should wordt in vs 2010 if they keep that logic.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:01 PM