Sharepoint List Help one column value equal to another column value in a different item RRS feed

• Question

• I have two columns in Sharepoint list "current phase" and "complete by phase" which I am trying to compare data.  

"Current phase" has values like 1.  Preparation, 2.  Approval, 3.  Plan, etc.  

"Complete by phase" has the phase in which the deliverable is due by 1. Preparation, 2. Approval, etc. (these values are already filled for the user to show what deliverables are due when.

I have the form setup to ask the users once what is the current phase so there is one row/item in the Sharepoint list list for that data.  I am trying to figure out how to populate that data from one row/item to all the other rows/item in the Sharepoint list so I can compare what deliverables are past due based on the current phase.

I thought of using a lookup from another lists but this is a choice field that I don't want users to enter manually.

I also thought of date values instead of phases but the items are really not date driven but more phase driven.

Please help!  This is my first post for help so if you need more data to for help suggestions, please say so. 

Thanks,
    T

Sunday, February 16, 2014 2:10 PM

Answers

• Sujay you are correct - Lookup field is the right solution.  I was trying to create a way around a lookup instead of improving the data in the Lookup.  Instead of making it choice field I added advanced column validation to insure users are entering the data as expected then I am able to use that data as a lookup.  Thanks for the help.  
    • Marked as answer by Grizzlies23 Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:42 PM
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:41 PM

All replies

• Explain again why you cannot or dont want to use the Lookup field? That sounds to be the perfect solution to your question.

Sujay Sarma {Unbounded;} Blog: http://blog.sujay.sarma.in

Sunday, February 16, 2014 2:13 PM
  • The field is a choice field so from my limited knowledge, choice fields can't be used in Lookups?? right?

I don't want the users just typing their current status because of all the variations I would receive so I made it a choice field.  

Sunday, February 16, 2014 2:22 PM
  • Sujay you are correct - Lookup field is the right solution.  I was trying to create a way around a lookup instead of improving the data in the Lookup.  Instead of making it choice field I added advanced column validation to insure users are entering the data as expected then I am able to use that data as a lookup.  Thanks for the help.  
    • Marked as answer by Grizzlies23 Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:42 PM
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:41 PM