Blend 4 Code Editor RRS feed

• Question

• I just got Expression Studio 4 and I'm disappointed to see that the code editor's functionality is still somewhat limited.
    There is no context menu implemented - not even cut, copy, paste, etc.

I'm sure this has been asked to death, but I cannot believe that there is still no command for xaml formatting.
    These seem to be basic functions of any code/xml editor.

This is really my only gripe.  This is version 4 and I was sure to see these things implemented by now.

Maybe it isn’t high up on the list, but having to flip to VS or use Kaxaml to format isn’t a great workflow for me.
    Especially because of the fact that when pasting elements, the input never seems to come in nicely.
    Tags are misaligned.  Whitespace messed up, etc.

Why doesn't blend simply use the VS code editor as a component?
    Is there a reason for an additional implementation in Expression?

Is there any way I could extend the editor myself?
    Does Expression  Blend IDE support any kind of modifications or addons?

Otherwise, I’m very happy with the product and thanks for the hard work.
    I’m sure to see these and all other imagined features in future versions.

Friday, July 9, 2010 5:43 PM

All replies

• This is absolutely VERY high on our priority list for the next version, please be assured! Because of the way our schedule worked, we were not able to get the latest VS code editor compoent (yes, it is indeed the VS editor running in Blend when editing XAML) with all these useful features.

Thanks,
    Unni

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 9, 2010 6:11 PM
  • Alright, fair enough.  Thanks.

But about creating an addon or mod - does the Blend IDE have any support for extensibility?

If so where might I find info about it?

Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:01 AM
  • This may help answer the extensibility: http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/thread/259469f2-c43f-426c-9c8f-c013d12520e2/

-- Joel Cochran Expression Blend MVP MCTS (WinForms, WPF) http://www.developingfor.net
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:58 PM