none
new project default startup visual studio 2015

Question

• I am new to Visual Studio 2015 lightweight with only C++ installed and I'm fairly new to C++ programming, I've done  C for a couple of years now. My question is, how can i change the default startup code when I create a new project? I primarily do Win32 console app. When you create a new project by default it loads with a few lines of code to get started with but I would like to add more code to it so when i start new projects, it has more code loading when it first starts up. 

For example, instead of starting with just:

// ConsoleApplication1.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.
    //
    #include "stdafx.h"

int main()
    {
        return 0;
    }

It will start with something like: (just as a basic example)

// <file name>
    // <my name>

// <date>

#include "stdafx.h"
    #include <iostream>
    #include <string>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {
        return 0;
    }

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:27 AM

Answers

• Hi bvillar110,

Thank you for your post.

>>how can i change the default startup code when I create a new project?

You could create a custom project template with the standard Export Template wizard, please take the following steps:

1.Create a project and until it is ready to be exported as a template.

2.On the File menu, click Export Template. The Export Template wizard opens.

3.Click Project Template.

4.Click Next.

5.Select an icon and a preview image for your template. These will appear in the New Project dialog box.

6.Enter a template name and description.

7.Click Finish. Your project is exported into a .zip file and placed in the specified output location, and, if selected, imported into Visual Studio.

I did a test to create a sample template as you mentioned in the initial post, export the UnitTest(export) template and it succeed, please see the screenshot:

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:02 AM