Difficulty installing .NET 3.0 on Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get .NET 3.0 working with VS 2005 so that I can use WPF.

I've followed the instructions at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvista/downloads/products/getthebeta/#runWinFXApps

I've installed on two machines - one a clean Windows XP machine - without any luck.

The installation order has been: Visual Studio (already on both machines), Net 3.0 and then the SDK.

No additional project types are shown in VS after install and an attempt at installing Orcas results in the error message that .NET 3.0 isn't installed.

Any suggestions?

mikej

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 6:56 PM
Thursday, October 5, 2006 2:17 PM
  • The download page referred to on the first post of this thread had a mistake in it last week where it was pointing to the September CTP of the Framework but the RC1 version of the Visual Studio Extensions.  This was fixed late last week and should now point to the September CTP of the Visual Studio Extensions.

To be sure you have the right match please use the september CTP of framework found here, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C6636E90-26E6-44E0-8780-5D3CCD3D94ED&displaylang=en with the September CTP of the tools found here, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CC77ABFA-A000-48D0-98C9-4AE083033D09&displaylang=en.

Sorry for the confusion I'm sure this has caused.

Anthony

Monday, October 9, 2006 8:10 AM
  • All replies

Thursday, October 5, 2006 2:17 PM
  • There is several threads on the Cider forum about this. Aparently, alot of people have had issues with the installer. There is a workaround posted, but it is recommened to not use it. If you need a designer, try out the Expression Interactive Designer. For the design aspect it seems more fully featured then the Cider plugin that comes with the Orcas beta.
    Thursday, October 5, 2006 7:23 PM
  • Ive done

.NET Framework 3.0 RC1

and

Windows SDK RC1

on two machines - one a clean install of Windows XP SP2 with nothing else on it and when I try to install:

• Visual Studio "Orcas" Extensions for .NET Framework 3.0 RC1 (also see readme for WPF designer)
  • It refuses to do it 

saying that "- you must have the .NET Framwork 3.0 runtime installed."

Well I think I do have it installed. I'm not interested in running the designer by the way.

mikej

Friday, October 6, 2006 9:00 AM
  • There seem to be several people having this problem, including myself.
    Friday, October 6, 2006 7:08 PM
  • Hi guys,

Its really true.. even myself got the same problem...

And at last i uninstalled the .Net framework 3.0 and again i reinstalled the .Net 3.0 and once again i tried the "Orcas".

I tried these same types several times and suddenly at one point i got "Orcas" installed..

But when i want to create a new WPF application it shows error

"<Path of project>\ProjectName.csproject cannot be opened

The project type is not supported by this installation" --- i am wondering about this error !! I really fed up with it...

I dont know really whats the remedy for this problem.... anyone can help me??

Saturday, October 7, 2006 6:09 AM
  • Have you tried a Complete Un-Install or Repair of Visual Studio?? for some that has worked...I had the same issue But it didnt Install until i did a Format of the Hard drive with a clean O/S Install..

Seems that when you use the pervious versions on .NET 3.0 with Visual Studio, it dosnt completely Un install so vs still see's the previous version.This is due to the packages not completely un installing and Registry Keys left behind from the previous version.

So for some people Repairing or Re installing VS 2005 has fixed the issue, if you go that route Un install everything along with  (.NET 3.0 RC1,Windows SDK RC1, Orca's) etc etc..Delete any folder left behind in the Programs folder,Check the Registry for any keys that reference the Installs..

Hope this helps

Saturday, October 7, 2006 6:22 AM
  • Sadly no it doesn't help.

One of the machines I'm using is a complete clean install of Win XP before trying to install.

And I did format the disk and install VS from scratch.

This seems to be a real problem not an accident of configuration.

Not really good enough Microsoft.

mikej

Saturday, October 7, 2006 7:46 AM
  • This is an issue that spans back to the day of the RC1 versions release.Its been most of the End Users that have solved or help to solve the issue,with little or no help from Microsoft. Here is a topic i started in the Cider forum that spans back to the RC1 Release with 1626 Views and climbing daily.You might find some answers in my Original Topic thier..

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=707176&SiteID=1

Saturday, October 7, 2006 5:14 PM
  • DELETEME, this forum places the messages in the wrong order
    Saturday, October 7, 2006 7:13 PM
  • Orcas still refuses to install - the error message is that WinFX insn't installed

Read the message again, slowly... It only says that the documentation will be crappy if you don't have WinFX SDK installed but you can continue the insallation anyway, just click yes

Saturday, October 7, 2006 7:14 PM
  • At least in my case this is not true.  If the documentation intragation does not work there are 2 messages you can go through to get it installed.  But, on XP I am getting an error message stating that a required prerequisite (Net 3.0 runtime) is missing.  The button is labeled Exit and when selected presents the wizard with only "Cancel" enabled.

I would be fine moving to Vista where this works for development, but the Cisco VPN client does not work on Vista yet so that is a no-go for my laptop which is where I do my email and other corporate accesses.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 7:38 PM
  • I was only able to get it to work on this Developer machine by Formatting the Hard Drive. I had the same issue's of .NET 3.0 being installed showing up in the Add/Remove with EID being able to run. EID wouldn't run if the .NET 3.0 wasn't installed,so it comes down to Residual files,Registry Keys(for the O/S & Visual Studio). If the O/S or Visual Studio is still seeing the Previous version you come across the problem at hand,the releases are not completely Un Installing (Removing of Temp Files from the Locals Folder,Registry Keys etc etc). Whats even more strange is people with a Clean O/S install and its gives the same error.

I just hope that the next releases dont cause the same issue that i had and people are still having,but  won't really know until that time comes. To Un-Install the RC1 versions for the Latest releases, nothing like having to lose everything on your system just to Install the latest builds.Which add's up to a lot of wasted time of Formatting,Re Installation of the O/S, O/S Updates upon all the other software that has to go back on..

I have Windows XP Pro with Media Center 2005 which is my Development machine,as for my Laptop i wouldnt even consider putting the development software on to it or my Gaming Machine..

Saturday, October 7, 2006 8:15 PM
  • Same here - there is no alternative to the Exit button and it does exactly what it says.

mikej

Sunday, October 8, 2006 9:02 AM
  •  Rattlerr wrote:

This is an issue that spans back to the day of the RC1 versions release.Its been most of the End Users that have solved or help to solve the issue,with little or no help from Microsoft. Here is a topic i started in the Cider forum that spans back to the RC1 Release with 1626 Views and climbing daily.You might find some answers in my Original Topic thier..

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=707176&SiteID=1

Even though I did a search before posting I didn't find this thread - so thanks for pointing it out.

However after reading it there doesn't seem to be a fix.

It seems that some people manage to get it to work by magic but as far as I can tell no one has managed to make it work on a clean install.

If anyone has installed .NET 3.0, the SDK and Orcas on a clean Windows XP machine could they let us know.

mikej

Sunday, October 8, 2006 10:38 AM
  • The download page referred to on the first post of this thread had a mistake in it last week where it was pointing to the September CTP of the Framework but the RC1 version of the Visual Studio Extensions.  This was fixed late last week and should now point to the September CTP of the Visual Studio Extensions.

To be sure you have the right match please use the september CTP of framework found here, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C6636E90-26E6-44E0-8780-5D3CCD3D94ED&displaylang=en with the September CTP of the tools found here, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CC77ABFA-A000-48D0-98C9-4AE083033D09&displaylang=en.

Sorry for the confusion I'm sure this has caused.

Anthony

Monday, October 9, 2006 8:10 AM
  • I can confirm that it all now works.

It installed on both of the Windows XP machines - a fairly messy 64 bit machine and a clean 32 bit machine.

No changes were made to the configurations of either and link provided simply installed Orcas without any problems.

After installation both Express and full VS have new project types.

One final comment - it is still very difficult if not impossible to find the Orcas download quoted by searching downloads or following other reasonable sounding links. So this problem hasn't completely gone away in that other innocents are going to end up installing the wrong Orcas.

Thanks for the fix

mikej

Monday, October 9, 2006 9:06 AM
  • That version of the install worked for me as well.   I have not fully checked it out, but at least it installed something.  It does complain about the doc integration, but I think that was my fault when installing VS.
    Monday, October 9, 2006 3:18 PM
  • Whats the difference between the RC1 Release and Sept Release???? What fixes are included in this build??

reason i am asking is i would hate to un install the RC1 Builds and have trouble getting the Sept Builds on..lol

Monday, October 9, 2006 3:36 PM