design patterns vs architectural patterns RRS feed

• Question

• User-922170241 posted

HI to all Thank sin advance

1.what is the difference between design patterns  vs architectural patterns ?

2. In which situations They are preffered?

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:33 AM

Answers

• User-952121411 posted

An application's architecture is the overall 'organization' of the code. Examples of different Architectures might be MVC, MVVM, MVP, n-layer (i.e. UI-BLL-DAL), etc. The architecture typically needs to be decided up front and often is difficult to change once the application is built.

Design patterns are common design structures and practices that make for creating reusable Object-Oriented software. Design pattern examples are Factory Pattern, Singleton, Facade, State, etc. Design patterns can be used to solve smaller problems throughout the application, and are much easier to inject, change, add than the overall architecture. Often more than one design pattern will be implemented within an application.

Neither is preferred because really both can be used are needed. They fulfill different requirements and have different responsibilities.

I can recommend a good book for each topic. For Design Patterns I recommend the following book:
    Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
    http://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Elements-Reusable-Object-Oriented/dp/0201633612

For Architecture, and specifically those related to ASP.NET (although they can be applied to many different application types), I recommend the following book:
    Professional ASP.NET Design Patterns
    http://www.amazon.com/Professional-ASP-NET-Design-Patterns-Millett/dp/0470292784

The above book covers architectures mentioned above as well as design pattern techniques. An excellent book.

Hope this helps!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:26 AM

All replies

• User-1184423958 posted

Design Patterns are well known patterns for solving technical problems in a way that has proven itself many times.

However architecture patterns are well known patterns for solving software application architecture problems. Software application architecture is the process of defining a structured solution that meets all of the technical and operational requirements, while optimizing common quality attributes such as performance, security, and manageability.

Monday, January 10, 2011 5:36 AM
  • User-952121411 posted

An application's architecture is the overall 'organization' of the code. Examples of different Architectures might be MVC, MVVM, MVP, n-layer (i.e. UI-BLL-DAL), etc. The architecture typically needs to be decided up front and often is difficult to change once the application is built.

Design patterns are common design structures and practices that make for creating reusable Object-Oriented software. Design pattern examples are Factory Pattern, Singleton, Facade, State, etc. Design patterns can be used to solve smaller problems throughout the application, and are much easier to inject, change, add than the overall architecture. Often more than one design pattern will be implemented within an application.

Neither is preferred because really both can be used are needed. They fulfill different requirements and have different responsibilities.

I can recommend a good book for each topic. For Design Patterns I recommend the following book:
    Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
    http://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Elements-Reusable-Object-Oriented/dp/0201633612

For Architecture, and specifically those related to ASP.NET (although they can be applied to many different application types), I recommend the following book:
    Professional ASP.NET Design Patterns
    http://www.amazon.com/Professional-ASP-NET-Design-Patterns-Millett/dp/0470292784

The above book covers architectures mentioned above as well as design pattern techniques. An excellent book.

Hope this helps!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:26 AM
  • User-237187975 posted

Have a look as simple defination of design patterns  vs architectural patterns

Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:50 AM