none
WEC 7: Can I strip down the Standard Shell Component in Compact 7? RRS feed

• Question

• My company is trying to maintain the same licensing fee of our Compact 7 products as it was with our CE 5.0 products.

So we're trying to fit our OS design in Compact 7 into the C7E and C7NR license restriction.

One thing that is keeping me from doing this was the Standard Shell Component.

As noted here in this Compact 7 SKU comparison Standard Shell is supposed to be available for C7NR and C7E. But when I include this component in our design the License Assessment Tool would change our suggested license to C7P or C7G. The reason was because the Standard Shell component actually pulls a few more components with it, these are IE7_MLANG, AYGSHELL, URLMON, WININET.

How can Microsoft contradict its own SKU guidelines? Is there a way for me to force the build to exclude these pulled dependencies of the Standard Shell? We don't use these features in our products too.

Thoughts?

Additional note: From the standard shell we be using only the Windows Explorer, so will cloning and modifying the exlporer shell (from PUBLIC) be an option here?
    • Edited by MJ Masbad Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:43 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:44 AM

Answers

• Nevermind... Microsoft seems to have addressed this already...

I still have to test this though, but it seems to be a problem with the License Assessment Tool.

FIX: "C7NR" SKU components are reported as "C7G" or "C7P" by the Run-Time License Assessment Tool for a Windows Embedded Compact 7-based image

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2708168?wa=wsignin1.0

• Marked as answer by MJ Masbad Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:15 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:15 AM