none
what to have .net framework 4.0 client for profile or .net framework 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on outlook addin project being developed in vs2010 for outlook 2007. the addin project is being developed in vb.net and there is one another project in the main project which is devloped in c#

the c# project is basically for calling some internal web services, which interacts with database and returns a json response. i need to know,  which is the best choice in between .net framework 4.0 client profile or .net framework 4.0 to handle the web services part

Thanks

• Moved by 许阳(无锡) Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:24 AM An CLR issue (From:Outlook for Developers)
    Monday, January 23, 2012 10:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Actually question has nothing to do with Outlook programming. Disregarding that - from your perspective it makes no difference at all, do as you like.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:07 AM
  • oh, yes i realised it now, i think i posted in wrong forum. thanks for clearing it.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:42 AM
  • no problem :) But it really makes no difference between .net profiles in your scenario. More importnant is what client wants/have on client machines.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:25 AM
  • In you case, .NET Framework 4.0 client profile and full version are both OK.

If you are using ASP.NET projects or WCF or MSBuild etc, it is necessary to use .NET 4.0 full version. See the document:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc656912.aspx#features_not_included_in_the_net_framework_client_profile

Have a nice day.

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Paul Zhou Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:56 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Thanks a lot for Reply. It helped me in making my decision.
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:11 PM
  • What's new in .NET Framework 4 Client Profile RTM explains many of the differences:

When to use NET4 Client Profile and when to use NET4 Full Framework?
    NET4 Client Profile:
    Always target NET4 Client Profile for all your client desktop applications (including Windows Forms and WPF apps).

NET4 Full framework:
    Target NET4 Full only if the features or assemblies that your app need are not included in the Client Profile. This includes:

• If you are building Server apps. Such as:
      o ASP.Net apps
      o Server-side ASMX based web services
    • If you use legacy client scenarios. Such as:
      o Use System.Data.OracleClient.dll which is deprecated in NET4 and not included in the Client Profile.
      o Use legacy Windows Workflow Foundation 3.0 or 3.5 (WF3.0 , WF3.5)
    • If you targeting developer scenarios and need tool such as MSBuild or need access to design assemblies such as System.Design.dll

However, as stated on MSDN, this is not relevant for >=4.5:

Starting with the .NET Framework 4.5, the Client Profile has been discontinued and only the full redistributable package is available. Optimizations provided by the .NET Framework 4.5, such as smaller download size and faster deployment, have eliminated the need for a separate deployment package. The single redistributable streamlines the installation process and simplifies your app's deployment options.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 10:01 AM