none
Optimize Multiple Itineraries Shifts (Simple Problem) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My company is currently developing a POC for a client using Bing Maps "Optimize Multiple Itineraries" POST operation.

The client operates a fleet of repair techs, that operate out of a local site/depot. The repair technicians take their lunch break around 12PM every day for 1 Hour. However they take their break eaither on the job location or at a rest stop of their choosing. 

They would never return to base to take their lunch.

a Shift Start and End location is mandatory, However we have no idea how we can get the Optimize Multiple Itineraries operation to plan a lunch within the time frame without instructing the driver to return to base or to a specific location for his lunch.dose anyone have any work/around for this issue? This may be a Make or Break for us to purchase Bing Maps sadly. :(

Thanks

Lloyd

Saturday, October 24, 2020 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hello,

We are aware of this missing functionality in MIO and have a backlog item to close the support gap for it.
    I can't offer any details on when it will be ready but until then I can provide details of what can be achieved and a work around to obtain the missing desired functionality.
    • scenario 1 - the lunch break location is known (example rest stop Y - starting at 12 for 1H). The MIO request will leverage the multi shift capability and have 2 shifts defined as it follows:
                  shift start location/time = define as normal - shift end location = rest stop Y & shift end time = 12PM
                  shift start location/time = rest stop Y & shift start time = 1PM - shift end location = define as normal
    • scenario 2 - the lunch break is not know (example - the driver chooses to stop at 12PM where ever he is) can be obtained with 2 consecutive MIO calls:
                 1st call - include all the normal items you want to schedule and define 1 agent shift as follows: shift start location/time = define as normal - shift end location = don't define (this is optional so it can be left out) and for the shift end time set it to 12PM (the start of the break)
                 2nd call - include the unschedueled items from the previous call only and define the agent shift as follows: shift start location = the last scheduled item from previous request and shift start time = 1PM (the end of the break) - shift end location = define as normal

This workflow will create an itinerary for the first part of the day and then using the end location of the first call it will create an itinerary for the second part of the day - with this obtaining the desired break somewhere along the route.

• Proposed as answer by alcristi Monday, October 26, 2020 3:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Briggsy1 Tuesday, October 27, 2020 5:32 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2020 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hello,

We are aware of this missing functionality in MIO and have a backlog item to close the support gap for it.
    I can't offer any details on when it will be ready but until then I can provide details of what can be achieved and a work around to obtain the missing desired functionality.
    • scenario 1 - the lunch break location is known (example rest stop Y - starting at 12 for 1H). The MIO request will leverage the multi shift capability and have 2 shifts defined as it follows:
                  shift start location/time = define as normal - shift end location = rest stop Y & shift end time = 12PM
                  shift start location/time = rest stop Y & shift start time = 1PM - shift end location = define as normal
    • scenario 2 - the lunch break is not know (example - the driver chooses to stop at 12PM where ever he is) can be obtained with 2 consecutive MIO calls:
                 1st call - include all the normal items you want to schedule and define 1 agent shift as follows: shift start location/time = define as normal - shift end location = don't define (this is optional so it can be left out) and for the shift end time set it to 12PM (the start of the break)
                 2nd call - include the unschedueled items from the previous call only and define the agent shift as follows: shift start location = the last scheduled item from previous request and shift start time = 1PM (the end of the break) - shift end location = define as normal

This workflow will create an itinerary for the first part of the day and then using the end location of the first call it will create an itinerary for the second part of the day - with this obtaining the desired break somewhere along the route.

• Proposed as answer by alcristi Monday, October 26, 2020 3:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Briggsy1 Tuesday, October 27, 2020 5:32 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2020 3:10 PM
  • Thank you Alcristi for the positive response. i am looking forward to this feature being developed. in the meantime i will use a work-around as described. 
    Tuesday, October 27, 2020 5:32 PM
  • I have a small update, after some planning discussions we intend on releasing full breaks support (without the need for a separate call workaround) by end of November.

We will update the documentation and provide some examples when the feature is ready.

Thanks,

Alex

• Edited by alcristi Tuesday, October 27, 2020 9:27 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2020 9:27 PM
  • Thank you so much Alex, This will be perfect. and look forward to seeing this in a month!

Thursday, October 29, 2020 2:07 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Did this manage to get done this November? can you let me know if its been documented or how to test?

Thanks,

Lloyd

Monday, November 30, 2020 11:40 AM