32 bit version will only load 0,5 GB of data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have some problems with a 32bit version of Office/PowerPivot running on a 64bit OS. Even thoug there are limitations of how many records the 32bit should be able to handle, we had expect PowerPivot to be able to load more than 1.5 mill records, in a narrow table, before reporting lack of memory.

The workstation where it is runnig, has 16 GB of memory, using approx 3,5 GB, so there is a lot of free memory here. When we laod the same query on SSAS Tabular, the cube only uses 160 MB.

I had expected 32bit to be able to handle nearby 2 GB of data, and quite a few millions rows of data, as the table is quite narrow with 6 columns. Two of the fields are Date fields with milli seconds, and there is one more date field without milli second, and a text field. Not the best fields to do efficient compression on, but still I had expected to be able to load more data even with 32bit version.

Are there any way to improve on how many rows to load, when upgrading to 64bit is not an issue? It this case we will probably ensure that we truncate time section of dates, but we are investigating how the business users in the company can use PowerPivot for prototyping, and this test indicates that they will not be able to load a sufficient amount of data.

Best regards,

Lorents Nord-Varhaug

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Lorents,

The problem with 32 bits is that the memory is shared between Excel and PowerPivot. So that 2 GB is not just for data but for Excel and the PowerPivot UI. The suggestion you mentioned about truncating the values to get less unique rows will help.

Hope that helps,

Kasper

Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Hi Lorents,

I had been using the 32bit version of Excel (on a 64bit Win7), and started getting "out of memory" messages for one of my apps as it grew.  Along with that I encountered a lot of other Excel problems, saving, refreshing, editing measures ...

I switched to the 64bit Excel (and PowerPivot) and all those problems disappeared (with the same workbook).  If feasible, I suggest that you give the 64bit Excel a try.  It saved me a lot of time. (that I now spend trying to totals and grand totals correct :-)

bob

bob mick

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Friday, October 5, 2012 1:11 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Lorents,

The problem with 32 bits is that the memory is shared between Excel and PowerPivot. So that 2 GB is not just for data but for Excel and the PowerPivot UI. The suggestion you mentioned about truncating the values to get less unique rows will help.

Hope that helps,

Kasper

Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Hi Lorents,

I had been using the 32bit version of Excel (on a 64bit Win7), and started getting "out of memory" messages for one of my apps as it grew.  Along with that I encountered a lot of other Excel problems, saving, refreshing, editing measures ...

I switched to the 64bit Excel (and PowerPivot) and all those problems disappeared (with the same workbook).  If feasible, I suggest that you give the 64bit Excel a try.  It saved me a lot of time. (that I now spend trying to totals and grand totals correct :-)

bob

bob mick

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Friday, October 5, 2012 1:11 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:21 PM