How to sync local sqlite data base with server MS Access Database from windows 8 store application developed in C#?

Question

• Hi, My windows 8 store tablet app is developed in C# and XAML and it uses SQLite as local DB. Now how can I sync with the server DB which is MS Access (Master). The use cases is if user added a new field or updated in local DB it should get reflected in the server DB as well then other users can see the changes in their app by giving a sync on their app.

Your help is much appreciated. 

Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:42 AM

Answers

• You cannot access an Access database directly from a Windows Store app. You would need to host it elsewhere and provide a web service interface.

Azure Mobile Services is backed SQL databases, not by Access. While you could host your Access database on Azure, that would not be as an Azure Mobile Service and couldn't use the Mobile Services offline data feature.

--Rob

Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:00 PM
    Owner

All replies

• There isn't any built in synchronisation framework for this. You'll have to implement that yourself. Comparing timestamps or IDs when you connect and uploading / downloading the newest version is fairly easy. More complicated conflict management is more complicated.

If you use Azure Mobile Services instead of MS Access take a look at http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/mobile-services-windows-phone-get-started-offline-data/

Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:53 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks for your reply Rob,

I mean the server data base is of type .mdb created using MS Access. So I can use same .mdb and upload to azure cloud then access through my windows store app. Hope this should work fine.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:39 AM
  • You cannot access an Access database directly from a Windows Store app. You would need to host it elsewhere and provide a web service interface.

Azure Mobile Services is backed SQL databases, not by Access. While you could host your Access database on Azure, that would not be as an Azure Mobile Service and couldn't use the Mobile Services offline data feature.

--Rob

Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:00 PM
    Owner