Access to Family Safety settings RRS feed

• Question

• The app I'm working on consumes a website that has some links that users may want filtered based on their Family Safety settings in windows. Do we have access to retrieving the settings for the currently logged in user through an API? If not, are there's plans to add this?
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'll check on this and get back with you.
    Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    Friday, September 23, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Thanks Matt.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:22 PM
  • I'm waiting on some information from the PM who owns this feature.  I'll get back with you as soon as I can.

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:05 PM
  • According to my source, the Family Safety API is not publicly available, and there are no plans to make it so.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Stand by for some more information on this. 
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Thanks Matt. Even if we get the new Live Essentials API ported to be compatible with Metro Apps, that would work great as well. 
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:09 AM
  • I spoke with one of our PMs about this and he will be joining this conversation as soon as he gets some additional information put together.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Hi SeiGGY,

Which Live Essentials API would you like ported?

Also, can you provide more detail about your app? Doesn't Family Safety prevent the user from visiting the bad links? Are you trying to prevent them from showing up in the first place?

Phil

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Hey Phil, yeah that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Basically I'd like to detect if the Web Family Safety stuff is turned on to limit access to violent and images of a "risky" nature. If the stuff is turned on, I plan on simply removing those links / articles from the app's feed. I'm surprised that something like this isn't baked into the OS by this point.
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 5:01 AM
  • HI SeiGGy - Phil is out of the office until next Monday, we'll wait until he's back for a follow up on this question.  Glad to see you back on this.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 1:52 PM
  • You can use this API to determine the current web filtering settings, but this is a Win32 API not a Modern API.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms711916(v=VS.85).aspx

Monday, November 7, 2011 9:34 PM