The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

[W8.1]Windows Store app only crashes when installed from Windows Store in Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows 8.1 app only crashes when it's installed from the Windows Store on Windows 8.1. These are the different ways how I tried to install and run the app. Success means the app launched fine and showed me my first page. Fail means it crashes after showing the splash screen.

• Debug the app in Windows 10: success
    • Start a release version from Visual Studio without debugging in Windows 10: success
    • Debug the app in Windows 8.1: success
    • Start a release version from Visual Studio without debugging in Windows 8.1: success
    • Remote debugging from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1: success
    • Remote debugging from Windows to Windows 8.1, but just start a release version from Visual Studio without debugging: success
    • Sideload app-packages in Windows 8.1: success
    • Install from Store on Windows 10: success
    • Install from Store on Windows 8.1: fail

I can reproduce this issue on every Windows 8.1 machine. The app just crashes a few seconds after it showed the splash screen.

I went looking in the event viewer and found an error saying that a remote procedure call failed. There's also an application error saying that combase.dll is the faulting module.

After loading the first page, the app checks if your PC has internet access. If it doesn't, it lets you know you need to check your internet connection. The app has the permission to access the internet as client.

I also configured an application-wide exception handler that catches every unhandled exception. The app then just shows an error message.

If you want to try for yourself: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9wzdncrfj9d5

Same post on Stack Overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33948566/windows-store-app-only-crashes-when-installed-from-windows-store-in-windows-8-1

• Edited by Krunal Parekh Thursday, December 3, 2015 7:44 AM subject
    Friday, November 27, 2015 12:08 AM

All replies

• Hello Samuel Debruyn,

How about you try debugging the installed app?

You can debug already installed app from store using Debug > Debug Other Targets > Debug Installed Apps.

Please see: Start an Installed App in Debugger.  

With Regards,

Krunal Parekh

Thanks MSDN Community Support Please remember to Mark as Answer the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, November 30, 2015 7:55 AM