none
Can a Content App published to Network Share be used in Excel Web App? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created a content app for Excel and published it to a Network share, and added it to my Trusted App Catalog in Excel 2013. Then I'm able to add the app to a workbook in Excel 2013. If I save the file to skydrive, and open it as an Excel Web App, then I get the following error:

"App Warning This app is not available in the Excel Web App. Open this document in Excel to use the app"

My question is: is it possible to publish the app to a network share, and use it in an Excel Web App? Office documentation doesn't specify whether it is supported or not.

From the following thread, I see that other users have faced similar error even when publishing the app to sharepoint. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appsforsharepoint/thread/7f408a47-75e3-4a38-ae36-daebeab23e9d

I don't know if the problem I'm facing is the same or different. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

• Edited by sampr Friday, February 22, 2013 11:32 PM
    • Moved by Quist Zhang Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:37 AM Move to appropriate forum
    Friday, February 22, 2013 11:29 PM

Answers

• Hi, Sam

For apps in the Excel Web App, the manifest file must be published either to the Office Store or to a SharePoint catalog. So unfortunately, it is not possible to access Shared Folder apps in using Excel Web app.

Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks!

-Michael

• Proposed as answer by Michael J. Saunders Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by sampr Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:59 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Sampr,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Based on my experience, Office Web Apps that are available in SkyDrive does not support Apps. You can not find the Apps group which can be seen on Excel 2013.

The Office Web Apps that support App for Office should be Office 365.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 25, 2013 1:32 PM
  • Hi Quist Zhang,

Thanks for your reply. I am able to include an app from the Office App store, save the Excel doc in skydrive, and successfully open as Excel web app. So I don't think skydrive was the issue. The problem was only with the app published on the network share.

Thanks,

Sam

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Hi Sampr,

Sorry for that I've misunderstood your intention.

I'll move your thread to Publishing Apps for the Office Store forum which is more appropriate for your issue. You'll get better support there.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:35 AM
  • Hi Sam,

Have you looked at this topic on dev.office.com?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/apps/fp123503.aspx

It reads like you did do what this topic suggests. I just thought I'd check.

Best regards,

Jes Brown

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:32 PM
  • Hi, Sam

For apps in the Excel Web App, the manifest file must be published either to the Office Store or to a SharePoint catalog. So unfortunately, it is not possible to access Shared Folder apps in using Excel Web app.

Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks!

-Michael

• Proposed as answer by Michael J. Saunders Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by sampr Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:59 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Thanks Michael. That answers the question.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:59 PM