none
Migrating csv Data from a 3rd party database to a new Access database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I am an online retailer selling mainly on Amazon and Ebay. I have been using a third party program, Suredone, to ease the task of inventory management. I've been with the program for almost 1.5 years and I have to say that this product's build quality is quite poor, half the time the update does not go through when it comes to updating info on Amazon. It's gotten to the point that I don't feel like I can trust this software and I actually feel safer using Ebay and Amazon's web interface, but that doesn't solve the problem of needing a solid database to house all of my product data. I have decided it would be better to create a database rather than just jump ship to another 3rd party. Access would be my choice and I am just wondering if it is possible to take a csv from Suredone and import it into access. I don't need API integration, as I will just use Amazon and Ebay direct so I know the info is going where it needs to.

Would I be able to program access to import data from specific fields in the csv into it's own fields? I am no expert with this program or with any kind of program like this, so I am curious if this can be done by myself with a little Access training under my belt.

Thank you!

Friday, May 6, 2016 6:10 PM

Answers

• Access can most certainly import such data.

The “trick” in how to change or “map” the column names. This  can be accomplished by doing the import of the csv data into a table in Access. This would be a temp “working” table. This table would thus "assume" the column names in the csv file.

You then want to send this data to your working tables, and you can create/use a append query in the query builder. This "append query" approach allows you to “map” or “change” the columns to match up to the actual columns you have in your working database table (assuming that some columns likely will be different).

This append query approach is one good way to map columns to different names and do so without having to write code.

Regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sunday, May 8, 2016 12:19 AM

All replies

• Hi. I think if you can open the CSV file without any problems in Excel, then you should be able to import it into Access without any problems as well. Just my 2 cents...
    Friday, May 6, 2016 6:36 PM
  • Access can most certainly import such data.

The “trick” in how to change or “map” the column names. This  can be accomplished by doing the import of the csv data into a table in Access. This would be a temp “working” table. This table would thus "assume" the column names in the csv file.

You then want to send this data to your working tables, and you can create/use a append query in the query builder. This "append query" approach allows you to “map” or “change” the columns to match up to the actual columns you have in your working database table (assuming that some columns likely will be different).

This append query approach is one good way to map columns to different names and do so without having to write code.

Regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sunday, May 8, 2016 12:19 AM