none
VPN Status RRS feed

• Question

Is there any way how via xplat cli or via portal to check status of the VPN? Connection is present but I observer big packet loss around 30% on the link while connecting to VMs.

Thanks,

@AzureSupport

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:41 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I would recommend to open a support ticket with us so that we can pull some gateway logs in Azure side and  understand if it is Azure issue or on your side.

You can also take simultaneous network captures on onprem machine, VPN deice and Azure VM and check if the packets are reaching Azure at the time of issue. That way we can narrow down and isolate where the issue is.

Regards,

Dipin Mathew.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Go to Virtual Network Gateways -> Click the Gateway -> On the Next Blade, click on Connections -> Here you will see the Local Networks it is connecting to.

Click on the Local Network of his choice. Then he will be able to see Connectivity Status and Data in + Data Out

You can view the Gateway Status using resources.azure.com

Regards,

Dipin Mathew.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:05 PM
  • Hello Mathew,

yes, I see it as 'connected' and I have seen the Data In and Data Out for global connection not for the specific in premises subnet (I have listed more than one in the VPN gateway configuration).

The problem was that while I had 'Connected' the packet drop was around 50%. When I tried to traceroute to my peer address assigned to the VPN (from the outside) I was not observing such network degradation so I assumed something is with the virtual VPN device.

Now during weekend situation improved and I had low latencies and no packet loss. Monday morning whows now much higher latencies but fortunately without lost packets. You can find the graphfrom the smokeping latency utility. http://cl.ly/0o0u3Z3U271B

thanks for any suggestion how to debug such issues in the future.

rafal

Monday, February 29, 2016 2:05 PM
  • Hello,

I would recommend to open a support ticket with us so that we can pull some gateway logs in Azure side and  understand if it is Azure issue or on your side.

You can also take simultaneous network captures on onprem machine, VPN deice and Azure VM and check if the packets are reaching Azure at the time of issue. That way we can narrow down and isolate where the issue is.

Regards,

Dipin Mathew.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 6:55 PM