none
MiniDumpWriteDump hangs Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have received reports from a few clients that one of our programs is crashing and hanging Windows.  (That is, they are reporting no response from either the keyboard or mouse.  Windows must be rebooted to continue.)  The hanging problem in particular is known to happen on Windows 8.1, but might also occur on Windows 7.  

The original crashing problem was caused by the client's hardware, which I do not have access to.  I reproduced the Windows hanging problem on Windows 8.1 by dividing by 0 in one of the program's threads to force a program crash.  

The program captures the exception and calls MiniDumpWriteDump.  There is an associated MiniDumpCallback routine that always returns TRUE.  Windows hangs after the RemoveMemoryCallback returns.

I am able to "fix" the hanging problem and obtain a crash dump by removing the MiniDumpWithPrivateReadWriteMemory flag from the MINIDUMP_TYPE argument to MiniDumpWriteDump.  However, that is undesirable in terms of obtaining a useful crash dump.

I have reproduced the hanging problem on Windows 8.1 using both dbghelp.dll versions 6.12.2.633 and 6.3.9600.16520.  The former was downloaded from Microsoft in 2010.  The latter belongs to Windows 8.1.  

I was unable to reproduce the hanging problem on Windows XP, using the 6.12.2.633 version of dbghelp.dll.  So it would appear that the problem is caused by some interaction between Windows 8.1 and the program.

I'm not sure how to proceed to resolve this.  Does anyone have any advice?
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:54 PM