none
Security Set Password ATA command (0xF1) under Windows 8. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have run into an issue with the Security Set Password ATA command (0xF1) under Windows 8. The problem is that the command works perfectly on Windows 7 but returns an ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER 87 (0x57) error on Windows 8 (the code base is the same). I am using IOCTL_ATA_PASS_THROUGH to send the command to the device. 

Apparently this is due to the fact that the SSD is Security Frozen by Windows upon startup. We have a method of unfreezing our drives. Unfreezing the drive and issuing Set Password works on all operating systems prior to Windows 8. Does anyone know what has changed in Windows 8?

Thanks, 

Kevin.

Monday, July 8, 2013 11:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

Yes, it's intentionally change in Windows 8 for security reasons.

Please follow up with me offline (xiaoxing AT Microsoft.com) if you have more questions in this area.

Regards,

Michael Xing[MSFT]

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,

Yes, it's intentionally change in Windows 8 for security reasons.

Please follow up with me offline (xiaoxing AT Microsoft.com) if you have more questions in this area.

Regards,

Michael Xing[MSFT]

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

I also have this problem to issue "Security Set Password ATA" command (0xF1) under Windows 8.

Does anyone can share solution for me?

Thank you very much,

Otis

Friday, December 27, 2013 2:41 AM
  • Hi Michael Xing,

I also got this problem, how can I send this command at Windows 8 or where can I get more information?

Best Regards.

Thanks.

Monday, December 30, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Hello Michael,

I also met this problem in win 10, is there any solutions about this ?

Looking forward to your replies.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 2:31 AM