none
Azure Media Services - Encoding, Publishing, Streaming Endpoints issue. RRS feed

• Question

• I am at quite a loss. I'll begin by letting you know I am typically a Linux admin so the Azure portal is fairly foreign to me.

We are interested in Azure Media Services for asset storage and playback on our training manual website for our product.

I have figured out how to upload assets, encode assets, publish them, and configure streaming endpoints (to a degree).

My issue is that after encoding in Adaptive encoding, and then publishing. The link will not play when I navigate to it. It instead tries to download a Manifest file.

The link ends in the format of: .ism/manifest

We want to ensure this functionality works before we purchase, we would also like to restrict the endpoint to IPs in our certain ranges.

The test video has no audio, but from what I've gathered so far is that adaptive encoding supports inserting audio silence.

To sum it up, we would like to restrict access to these videos inside of specific CIDR ranges. Or by domain. Whatever is best. To be able to do that, I need a video to play first in an open network without restrictions.

Friday, January 17, 2020 6:36 PM

All replies

• Thanks for asking question! Suggest you to use a supported streaming player (such as Azure Media Player or see the AMP Demo page ) to playback streaming URLs. In particular, “the link ends in the format of: .ism/manifest” represents a Smooth Streaming protocol/URL, so using a player that supports Smooth Streaming to playback the content would be helpful. As many web browsers don’t support direct playback based on that URL, so we may see the browsers tries to download a manifest file.

To add to this AMS Streaming Endpoints support many different streaming protocols, users can choose based on their player’s capability, some sample streaming URLs for different protocols can be found at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/media-services/latest/dynamic-packaging-overview#to-prepare-your-source-files-for-delivery.

AMS Streaming Endpoint also support access restriction via CIDR scheme, aka IP allow list, please refer to some related information at IPAccessControl and StreamingEndpointAccessControl.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 5:07 AM
  • Thank you for your reply! I was able to get the video playing in the proper player, I also did not know that you needed to omit the http portion of the link so that it began with //.

The final issue I am having now is that I am telling my streaming endpoint to only allow two public IPs under its "settings" option one for both buildings of my office with the /32 suffix, but I am still able to view the video from my home network. Why is this? I should not be able to view anything under that endpoint aside from the two public IP addresses I allowed.

Thank you!

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:14 PM
  • Thanks for your reply! Could you please double check on IP addresses formats: IpV4 address with four numbers or CIDR address range. As mentioned in the doc : If no IP addresses are specified and there's no rule definition, then no IP address will be allowed. Let me know if issue persists. 

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 6:38 AM