none
How to access Lightswitch Screen DataWorkspace from custom silverlight control in Visual Studio 2013 Update 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I´m developing a custom Treeview control based on Syncfusion control library and need to access the Lightswitch screens DataWorkspace.MyDatasource.MyEntities from my control and map entities to my TreeView.

My control is developed in a separate silverlight project. I can access the data over oData but as my application will need to run as an offline 2-tier local desktop application with localdb in certain situation I´m not sure how to access the local oData services as there are no webserver around hosting the Data svc services and I want to avoid installing a local IIS on all desktop installations running the Lightswitch oData services. If it´s possible to access the local oData I would be glad to see an example on how to accomplish that. if there is no other solution then hostin oData services in local IIS how should the authentication be set up on the oData Service? I´m running the application in Form Authentication and want to avoid that the user has to logon once again when my control loads data from oData.

The ideal situation would be to hookup to the screen and access the DataWorkplace object which obviously was possible in earlier stages of Lightswitch when the Application.Common.dll was around. In Visual Studio 2013 update 4 I don’t find this dll anymore.

What is the best solution for my issue?

Best Regards

Tommy Norman

Tommy Norman

Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Tommy,

Here are some suggestions after I researched this issue:

• You could consider installing IIS or using Windows Azure if you want to use Odata Service.
    • The DataWorkspace object is the top-level object for all data access. The DataWorkspace object contains a property for each data source in your project. It seems that it's not feasible to use DataWorkplace object in this situation.

Please let me know if you need any help.

Regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 2:33 AM