none
mpp format RRS feed

Answers

• Evan,

Thanks for the additional information.  We do not have standalone documentation for the .MPP format at this time, nor is the documentation on the horizon for the immediate future.

Steve Smegner
    Application Development Consulting Group

• Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Friday, August 29, 2008 8:51 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2008 8:51 PM
  • Elena,

We currently do not have any plans to document the .mpp file format specification.

Dominic Michael Salemno

Senior Support Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC Protocols Team

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:31 PM
  • Hi dietmarpaul, there are currently no plans to publish documentation of the Microsoft Project (.mpp) file format. Your request has been noted.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Evan, thanks for your post regarding the  Office Binary File Formats specifications. We will review your question and update the forum once our investigation is complete.

Thanks
    Steve Smegner
    Friday, July 18, 2008 6:01 AM
  • Evan,
    We support several file formats one of which is Project XML file format, which is documented and widely used by partners and customers as an interchange format. Refer to either of the following for more information: : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb968733.aspx , http://schemas.microsoft.com/project/2007/. If you need anything clarified in that document we will be happy to research and respond.

Steve Smegner
    • Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:52 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by EvanBarr Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:18 PM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:52 AM
  • Anyone who works with Project is aware of the XML file format and that is absolutely not my question.  My question is about the MPP format.

Most users work exclusively in the MPP format and for good reason.  Any application that wants to work seamlessly in that environment MUST be able to work with MPP.  Requiring the user to convert the mpp to mpx every time they realize that my program is waiting is a ridiculous solution. 

And please don't suggest using OLE Automation to use Project to work with the mpp.  That is the broken solution that I am now tasked with undoing.
    www.ProjectInVision.com
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:33 PM
  • By the way, Project 98 is the last version of Project that can write to MPX.  The versions after that write to .XML which is not a native format and requires that you run the import wizard every time you open one of these files.  This is not a good user experience and again pushes me to working exclusively with .MPP.

www.ProjectInVision.com
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Evan,

Thanks for the additional information.  We do not have standalone documentation for the .MPP format at this time, nor is the documentation on the horizon for the immediate future.

Steve Smegner

• Marked as answer by Steve Smegner Friday, August 29, 2008 8:51 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2008 8:51 PM
  • i know how!
    Monday, October 20, 2008 6:44 PM
  • i know how!

Do you know how to reverse engineer .mpp files?
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:53 PM
  • Thank you for your post. We will review this and provide feedback soon.

Regards,
    Edgar
    Monday, February 15, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Elena,

I am the engineer who has taken ownership of your question. I am currently investigating this and will update you as things progress.

Dominic Michael Salemno
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Elena,

I am the engineer who has taken ownership of your question. I am currently investigating this and will update you as things progress.

Dominic Michael Salemno

Hello Dominic,

I'm looking forward to your answer!

Elena.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Elena,

We currently do not have any plans to document the .mpp file format specification.

Dominic Michael Salemno

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:31 PM
  • Elena,

Dominic Michael Salemno

Now, it is 2014 in the meantime. Any news?
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 7:18 PM
  • Thank you for your inquiry. We will review this and provide feedback soon.

Regards,
    Edgar
    Monday, July 28, 2014 2:51 PM
  • Hi dietmarpaul, there are currently no plans to publish documentation of the Microsoft Project (.mpp) file format. Your request has been noted.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:43 PM