Microsoft Sumo Robot made visual. RRS feed

• Question

• I am not really from a programmer background and many online tests say i do better by visual aids rather than reading documentations and other faqs with odd terms. As there arent any iRobot experts in Singapore to give me a technical headstart, so have started from scratch.

So what i have done is recorded my progress via video realtime which means you will see every step as its being done with no shortcuts. so if i have made a mistake or can do better please feedback as i am doing this for my diploma final project.

so if anyone has an oversimplified way of teaching how to get the Sumo Robot to do what i want, please contact me.

http://uncivilizedman.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:09 AM

Answers

All replies

• Received feedback that the hardcoding will be quite intimidating for the students so on advice now exploring the use of VPL to make things easier as it is graphical but thing is i never used before.

my query is, can it be used to program the irobot to become a sumo robot?

can i create the program and use it with the included simulated sumo ring to test virtually?

Can i port to the iRobot?

As always, i posted a video of what i am talking about.

on a side note, is there anyone who can help to get all the sumo robot components and then help assemble after which send to Singapore as most of the parts arent available here or if you know anyone in Singapore who can help. Currently looking for quotations.

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:54 AM
  •  

Hi,

Here: http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=341708 you can download several examples, that Paul has posted before on this forum - http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2138999&SiteID=1, on how to program you own sumo player for the simulated sumo competition using VPL. There are of various complexity up to using the camera for finding the other player.

Pavel

Monday, October 29, 2007 6:46 PM
  •  

Thanks for the link, much appreciated.

I cannot understand how it is used. Is there any documentation or faq that show why it works or how to do it step by step? Or is it possible to ask the man himself?

like what is this?

or this

and why when clicked on Start rather than Manouvre the following items appear

as well as these,

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 2:01 AM
  •  

darn VPL is fun. The text to speech function is pretty nifty feature.

just a few query,

regarding the tutorial,

It shows this,

but i got this,

If noticed, the Merge icon is different.

Also when running VPL Tutorial 2 - Incrementing a Value, the numbers will increment but when i use the text to speech feature, i realized that it does not always say the correct value. At times, it says 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and most of the time is like randomed 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 in no particular order..

is this normal for the tutorial?

So far, my question regarding using VPL for Sumo robot has been unanswered. If unable to answer, can at least guide me to where i can get help on why the person used the particular boxes to create the sumo robot.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:59 AM