Using R at SSDT/SSAS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I want to use R as a source in SSDT for my logic. But I don't see the option.

Neither I can see the R as a source in Get Data, nor I can add Query Step using R.

Is this not supported currently ?

Regards,

Akash

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 5:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Akash,

Thanks for your question.

>>>>Is this not supported currently ?

Unfortunately, it is not supported currently.  I would suggest you to provide Microsoft a feature request at https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server, so that we can try to modify and expand the product features based on your needs.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by akj2784 Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:16 AM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Akash,

Thanks for your question.

>>>>Is this not supported currently ?

Unfortunately, it is not supported currently.  I would suggest you to provide Microsoft a feature request at https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server, so that we can try to modify and expand the product features based on your needs.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by akj2784 Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:16 AM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:13 AM
  • SSAS can get data from views - the rest depends on your DB server security policy - views can have UDF from assembly - which can call SP (including sp_execute_external_script which would invoke R script).

For MOLAP - you can always materialize your R script as preliminary step in ETL/processing job (or use ROLAP approach below).
    For ROLAP - to make sure it's updated dynamically - you can call this view directly (which will very likely be slow) or compile SSAS assembly
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 7:44 AM