none
Licensing .Net Application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How can I add a licensing feature to my application and give trial period for the users to try it? I want to sell my application developed in express edition.

Can you help me with this?

Monday, May 5, 2014 7:09 PM

Answers

• Well I've never used it with an application that I created and sold or demo'd. I just created it as an example of what to possibly do for someone else who had a question in these threads about doing something along those lines.

Although the Dialog that shows asks the user to contact the seller to get their key for the application. The user has to provide two keys in the dialog window to the seller and then when the seller provides the user with an application authorization key the user enters that in the Dialogs textbox (I believe) and the app will run on that PC. But it will not run on another PC because any other PCs BIOS hardware I.D. is different. So even if they installed the app on another PC the key they received for the original PC they installed the app on would not work on a different PC.

So if you change the size of the Dialog and add the necessary text to be displayed in it, such as your email address and maybe phnr (I would make them use email personally) or if you have a webservice and they can log onto that and provide you information then provide that link then the user could provide you whatever information you require in order to get the key.

I believe the person I originally wrote the code for was going to keep a database of whoever purchased their program, how many licenses for the program the purchaser purchased and then provide them keys via a logon for however many licenses they purchased after the user entered appropriate information for each PC they were installing the app on from the Dialog on that specific PC that displays when that PC runs the app. So on the website, before the app could be purchased, the user had to logon and create an account and enter appropriate information in order to purchase the app and however many licenses they were purchasing for the app or something. Therefore the user could use the same downloaded app for multiple PCs (say three) if they purchased three licenses and provided the information from those three PCs, displayed in each PCs dialog, and then the database would show all licenses were out for the copy of the app purchased by so and so.

And that code doesn't detect a time period elapsed for a demo app. So unless you have another method for doing that then that's why I provided you a link to the other code also.

La vida loca

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 11:22 PM

All replies

• These links may be more than you want. And it's not the greatest code around for the "Registry" app cause I've no doubt someone else could've written it better but maybe you can review the links and code at the links and see what you think. I would guess you could combine the two in an app for registering a demo version. Although each copy of the app requires a hard coded key in it. Though you could actually put the same key in one app and anybody that uses it would still require a different authorization key for the PC the app gets installed on I suppose.

Application Registry Security example

Demonstration Application - Detecting elapsed time span with various methods.

La vida loca

Monday, May 5, 2014 10:56 PM
  • Application Registry Security example looks good to me but does it work in my case?

I want to ask user his host id or any other unique information like email and give him the uniquely generated license key which should work.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:52 PM
  • Well I've never used it with an application that I created and sold or demo'd. I just created it as an example of what to possibly do for someone else who had a question in these threads about doing something along those lines.

Although the Dialog that shows asks the user to contact the seller to get their key for the application. The user has to provide two keys in the dialog window to the seller and then when the seller provides the user with an application authorization key the user enters that in the Dialogs textbox (I believe) and the app will run on that PC. But it will not run on another PC because any other PCs BIOS hardware I.D. is different. So even if they installed the app on another PC the key they received for the original PC they installed the app on would not work on a different PC.

So if you change the size of the Dialog and add the necessary text to be displayed in it, such as your email address and maybe phnr (I would make them use email personally) or if you have a webservice and they can log onto that and provide you information then provide that link then the user could provide you whatever information you require in order to get the key.

I believe the person I originally wrote the code for was going to keep a database of whoever purchased their program, how many licenses for the program the purchaser purchased and then provide them keys via a logon for however many licenses they purchased after the user entered appropriate information for each PC they were installing the app on from the Dialog on that specific PC that displays when that PC runs the app. So on the website, before the app could be purchased, the user had to logon and create an account and enter appropriate information in order to purchase the app and however many licenses they were purchasing for the app or something. Therefore the user could use the same downloaded app for multiple PCs (say three) if they purchased three licenses and provided the information from those three PCs, displayed in each PCs dialog, and then the database would show all licenses were out for the copy of the app purchased by so and so.

And that code doesn't detect a time period elapsed for a demo app. So unless you have another method for doing that then that's why I provided you a link to the other code also.

La vida loca

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 11:22 PM
  • Also you can review these threads that I assisted this person with when I created that program. However the code was changed since then due to adding encryption and decryption to it for the User.Config file that stores various information. These threads are for assistance with an app the user was creating which displays wiring diagrams for cars and trucks which a mechanics shop would use for troubleshooting wiring.

How to implement serialization or registration into a completed VB.net project for deployment. - This thread takes about 5 minutes to load on my system due to poor internet connectivity and because it has 112 replies in it I suppose.

Serialization into a VB project - the other post was getting too long - Second part of above thread.

Encrypt and Decrypt an XML file - Another thread about the app.

How to unzip password files for use within VB 2010 - Another long thread about how to do things with regard to the app the other threads were about.

La vida loca

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 11:47 PM

• I want to ask user his host id or any other unique information like email and give him the uniquely generated license key which should work.

That is seen as creating malicious code. The code can be used for malicious purposes. It is not important that you write that it is not your intention,. Those who have that intention do the same. While your purpose is probably 100% legitimize.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/053a0a87-e9b8-42e7-b483-d6d47c41278e/contributors-how-to-avoid-aiding-the-development-of-malicious-code?forum=vbgeneral

Also be aware that for this you need a 24/7 days helpdesk for if your code fails in some countries.

Success
    Cor

Thursday, May 8, 2014 5:32 AM