none
Inserting file name fields into an inserted word object document RRS feed

• Question

• I have a rather large software application user guide. It is comprised of individual word documents from which I produce PDF's and I make these available within the software application in their relevant context locations so I need to keep them as separate word documents. I also however produce a compilation of all of these in the main user guide and I don't want to have to maintain 2 sets of files so I made the master document up by inserting the individual documents as text links. In this way if I change one of the individual documents it will automatically be updated in the master document.

I want however to know what versions of each of the individual documents are being used in the master document so I've inserted a field at the bottom of each of the individual documents which shows the file name which is in an alpha/numeric format which incorporates the date it was last updated. I want to maintain this file name AFTER the document is linked into the master document but what is happening is that it is being changed into the file name of the master document rather than staying as the file name of the individual document from which it originated.

Is there any way of turning off this from happening? I want to be able to update the field in the master document but I want it to update to the file name of the originating document - not the master document.

Hope this is clear. Thanks for any help. If I've posted this to the incorrect forum please let me know and I'll change it.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 4:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Beckyboo,

Assuming you're inserting the linked content via an INCLUDETEXT field, add a \! switch to the field. For example:
    {INCLUDETEXT "C:\\Users\\Beckyboo\\Documents\\Attachments\\Att1.docx" \!}
    With the \! switch all of the paragraph numbering, field values, etc in the source document will be retained as they appear in that document.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, April 22, 2012 11:48 PM