Question about binding and executing once per record in the data source RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, all.

I have a question about how binding to a database works in web tests. I have a set of SQL Server tables that I use to bind my web tests to a data source. If I set my web test to execute once per record in the data source and I bind my web test to several tables, will it execute once per number of records in the first table or will it actually execute once per combination of each record.

Here's an example. Let's say, my web test has two steps: Step1 and Step2. Step1 has some post parameters bound to fields in Table1. Step2 has some post parameters bound to fields in Table2. If both tables (Table1 and Table2) have two rows each, will the test execute twice (per each record in Table1) or four times (each combination of rows from Table1 and Table2)?

Thank you.

Friday, April 7, 2006 3:59 PM

Answers

• If a web test is set up like this:

Web test:

Step1: post parameter 1 bound to field in Table1

Step2: post parameter 2 bound to field in Table2

Data Sources: Table 1 with n rows (sequential access),

Table 2 with n rows (sequential access),

If the web test is configured to run once per data source row, when you run the web test from the web editor or the playback window, the total number of iterations should be n.

In the 1 st run:

post parameter 1 = data in the 1st row  in Table 1

post parameter 2 = data in the 1st row  in Table 1

2nd run

post parameter 1 = data in the 2ndrow  in Table 1

post parameter 2 = data in the 2nd row  in Table 1

nth

post parameter 1 = data in the nth row  in Table 1

post parameter 2 = data in the nth row  in Table 1

Monday, April 10, 2006 6:39 PM