Hide/Remove Edit item option from context menu based on column value of that item RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I have a requirement.

There is a simple list in MOSS2007, workflow is enabled. Now my requirement is that if the list item is approved then the user should not edit that particular item. Can we do this without modifying core.js or any other OOB pages?

Please help me to acheive this functionality.

Thanks in advance.

Radhika
    Friday, March 4, 2011 9:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Radhika,

Even if you hide the edit link from the toolbar, the users can navigate directly to the edit form by typing the URL in address bar, which is a flaw.

So just hiding the link from users doesn't help you. You have to actually restrict in the edit form.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Monday, March 14, 2011 5:48 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Radhika,

As you say workflow is enabled, Is it a designer workflow??

If yes, then you can move the item to another list(Say Approved items List) and disable edit form for that list.

Another way is to create custom list form where you allow fields to be edited based on approval status.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    Friday, March 4, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Hi Chanakya,

Thanks for replying.

No its not designer workflow. and for this requirement we don't have to use SPD.

Can we allow the fields to be edited based on the approval status. Please tell me how?

TO achieve this functionality i was thinking to hide the edit item link in the dispform.aspx based on the approval status.

Please suggest what needs to be done.

Radhika
    Monday, March 7, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Hi Radhika,

To allow the fields to be edited based on the approval status, you have to create a custom code. May be a web part or a usercontrol will help you.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    Monday, March 7, 2011 4:15 AM
  • hmmm but we are not allowed to create custom code. Can't we use CEWP to hide the tool bar. I got some link for doing that http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/thread/7a19474d-06f0-459d-8e46-cac80fbe925c

but i want to filter that based on the status of that particulat list item.. e.g. if the status column is complete then hide the Edit Item tool bar else show it.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Radhika

Monday, March 7, 2011 5:40 AM
  • Hi Radhika,

Even if you hide the edit link from the toolbar, the users can navigate directly to the edit form by typing the URL in address bar, which is a flaw.

So just hiding the link from users doesn't help you. You have to actually restrict in the edit form.

Thanks,
    Chanakya
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Monday, March 14, 2011 5:48 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 5:44 AM
  • Hi Chanakya,

Thanks for reply. Yes it is a flaw :(

Yes i want to restrict the edit form but that also based on the status (completed, in progress)

Any idea? or any other OOB workaround without using SPD, without modifying core.js or no development.

Radhika
    Monday, March 7, 2011 10:36 AM