Unable to connect with RDP to Azure SuSE VM RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VM in Azure running SuSE Linux (openSUSE). I have no problem connecting with SSH. However I am unable to connect using RDP. I've used the endpoint port # in the connection dialog with the form DNS.name:port. I've restarted the VM, deleted the endpoint and recreated it, resized the VM, deleted the VM and recreated it using the same VHD. All of these steps are suggested in an article on troubleshooting RDP connections. None of these steps has fixed the problem. I used psping (from sysinternals) to hit the VM and get.

PsPing v2.01 - PsPing - ping, latency, bandwidth measurement utility
    Copyright (C) 2012-2014 Mark Russinovich
    Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

TCP connect to 104.40.6.251:3389:
    5 iterations (warmup 1) connecting test:
    Connecting to 104.40.6.251:3389 (warmup): The remote computer refused the network connection.
    Connecting to 104.40.6.251:3389: The remote computer refused the network connection.
    Connecting to 104.40.6.251:3389: The remote computer refused the network connection.

TCP connect statistics for 104.40.6.251:3389:
      Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
      Minimum = 0.00ms, Maximum = 0.00ms, Average = 0.00ms

So the connection is actively refused by the Linux VM. 

I'm at a loss here. I've tried searching the net for how to enable remote access in SuSE linux and haven't found anything that addresses the issue.

Thanks, Mike

Mike

Thursday, July 3, 2014 4:23 PM

Answers

• The normal way to access Linux VMs in Azure is using SSH. If there is such a thing as an RDP server for Linux it is certainly not deployed by default on any of the Azure Linux images. Consequently, unless you have deployed such a server yourself I am not at all surprised that you can't use RDP to access a SuSE Linux VM.
    • Proposed as answer by tomvangramberen Friday, July 4, 2014 6:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:13 AM
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Neil. By default, you cannot RDP into an Azure Linux VM just like the Windows VMs in Azure.

According to the article below for Ubuntu Azure VM, it seems that you need to install Gnome desktop and xrdp on the SUSE VM, then create an endpoint for RDP so that you may have a similar experience to connect to a Windows Server in Windows Azure.

Running a Remote Desktop on a Windows Azure Linux VM

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uktechnet/archive/2013/11/12/running-a-remote-desktop-on-a-windows-azure-linux-vm.aspx

However, I haven’t tried that on a SUSE as I am not familiar with Linux commands and it would be different for SUSE.

Best regards,

Susie

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Friday, July 11, 2014 5:13 AM
    Friday, July 4, 2014 7:11 AM

All replies

• The normal way to access Linux VMs in Azure is using SSH. If there is such a thing as an RDP server for Linux it is certainly not deployed by default on any of the Azure Linux images. Consequently, unless you have deployed such a server yourself I am not at all surprised that you can't use RDP to access a SuSE Linux VM.
    • Proposed as answer by tomvangramberen Friday, July 4, 2014 6:56 AM
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Neil. By default, you cannot RDP into an Azure Linux VM just like the Windows VMs in Azure.

According to the article below for Ubuntu Azure VM, it seems that you need to install Gnome desktop and xrdp on the SUSE VM, then create an endpoint for RDP so that you may have a similar experience to connect to a Windows Server in Windows Azure.

Running a Remote Desktop on a Windows Azure Linux VM

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uktechnet/archive/2013/11/12/running-a-remote-desktop-on-a-windows-azure-linux-vm.aspx

However, I haven’t tried that on a SUSE as I am not familiar with Linux commands and it would be different for SUSE.

Best regards,

Susie

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Friday, July 11, 2014 5:13 AM
    Friday, July 4, 2014 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

Anything updates now?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Susie

Friday, July 11, 2014 5:13 AM