none
SQL Azure Data Sync Preview Azure Sync Service Not Connected RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just starting out with Azure and Azure Data Sync.  I trashed my first Sync Group in the Azure Management Portal.  I decided to start from scratch so I removed the Data Sync Server figuring that would give me a clean point to start with again.  It did.

Now on the client side SQL Azure Data Sync Preview shows my local SQL server The State is reachable, in the bottom of the screen I get a message Azure Sync Service Not Connected.  I can not unregister the DB or delete this entry.  When I try to ping the Sync Service I get Azure Sync Service could not be reached.   

I tried to Generate a new Agent Key and that does not work either

Since the app remebers the connection I'm thining a config file someplace or possibly registry entry. . .   Does anyone know where the info is stored?

Ideas?

• Edited by mcyr05454 Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:11 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hello mcyr05454

Could you please try to restart "SQL Azure Data Sync Preview" service and try it again
    1. Exit the UI.
    2. Got to Start --> Run ---> Type in "services.msc"
    3. Restart the "SQL Azure Data Sync Preview" service.
    Restart the UI

Also, have you deleted the database(Local SQL Server) which you have registed through SQL Azure Data Sync Preview before doing unregister?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hello mcyr05454

Could you please try to restart "SQL Azure Data Sync Preview" service and try it again
    1. Exit the UI.
    2. Got to Start --> Run ---> Type in "services.msc"
    3. Restart the "SQL Azure Data Sync Preview" service.
    Restart the UI

Also, have you deleted the database(Local SQL Server) which you have registed through SQL Azure Data Sync Preview before doing unregister?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:30 PM
  • already restarted the Service. . .   that works fine . . .

are there log files anywhere I can check for more info?

No the DB is still on the local server. .

thanks

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:32 PM
  • third time was a charm . .   it's gone now. .   thanks :-)
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Have you tried all the suggestions in the Troubleshooting Guide?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2655.aspx

thanks

sid

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Hello Mcyr05454,

Just curious, How did the issue got resolved?

You can enable detailed logging for local agent.

Open LocalAgentHost.exe.config in notepad. This file should be present in your installation directory.

a) Uncomment the section that is currently commented
    < !--
    < switches>
    < add name="SyncAgentTracer" value="4" />
    < /switches>
    < trace autoflush="true" indentsize="4">
    < listeners>
    < add name="myListener" type="Microsoft.SqlAzureDataSync.ClientLogging.DSSClientTraceListener, Microsoft.SqlAzureDataSync.ClientLogging, Version=2.0.0.0" initializeData="DSSAgentOutput.log" />
    < remove name="Default" />
    < /listeners>
    < /trace>
    -->

b) Stop and restart SQL Azure Data Sync Preview Windows Service.
    Now you would find the detailed logs in files named DSSAgentOutput*.log. Logs in this file are more detailed than log entries in the Event Viewer.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:41 PM
  • that's a great question. .   I had restarted the service prior to the post. . .   I tried it one last time and the entry was gone.  .

thanks for your help

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:43 PM
  • I have this same problem.. it tells me to make sure that I'm copying the right key from the portal.  I am.  I can't connect at all. It worked once, but I decided to start over so I could blog about the scenario. No dice now :(
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Tom, are you still facing this problem?

Additionally if you have dropped the agent from the portal, then you will have to start clean completely. Meaning drop it from the portal, uninstall the agent from the local machine, reinstall the agent on the local machine, run through it on the portal and local machine and setup the agent.

Please respond back if you still are hitting the issue.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:24 PM