none
How to connect from visualization tools to Azure Data Lake store

Question

• Hi,

I am using preview version of Azure Data Lake through portal azure website.

I already created Azure Data Lake Store and Azure Data Lake Analytics.

Can anyone tell me that how I can connect from visualization tools (like Tableau, qlikView, SSRS ... or even Microsoft Excel) to Azure Data Lake store?

Seems the only way to do that so far is through Azure HDInsight, but even then, when I configure an HDInsight cluster (cluster type is Spark (PREVIEW)), the data source doesn't show Azure Data Lake Store.

It looks like this ability is not available yet.

Much appreciated for your responses!

Best regards,

Vinh Lam

• Edited by vinhlam87 Monday, February 15, 2016 4:12 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 4:10 AM

Answers

• To access data from Azure Data Lake Store (ADLS) using PBI Desktop, the steps are:

1. Follow the steps listed in this doc to connect to data in Azure Data Lake Store.
    2. You need to “Get data” from Azure -> Azure Data Lake

To access data from ADLS using PBI.com you need to create a report using PBI desktop and then upload it to PBI.com. The steps are:

1. Create report in PBI Desktop
      1. Follow the steps listed in this doc to connect to data in Azure Data Lake Store.
      2. You need to “get data” from Azure -> Azure Data Lake
    2. Publish report to PBI.com (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-upload-desktop-files/)
    3. Once you do that, your report will be available on PowerBI that will connect to ADLS.

Please note that if you have a Microsoft account, the above steps will not work for you. We are working on a fix that will be rolled out in the coming weeks. You can certainly use your work/school accounts and the steps should work for you.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:18 PM

All replies

• As you noted, U-SQL does not support interactive workload today. Ability to interact with ADLA from tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, SSRS, SSAS and other BI and reporting tools is something that we would like to enable and support.

For now, you can export data into file stored in ADLS and consume this data set from PowerBI directly. Alternatively, you can move data to Azure SQL DB or Azure SQL DW to support your BI needs. To move the data, you can use ADF that today supports taking ADLS files and moving them into one of the stores mentioned above...

hope this helps, Igor

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:28 PM
  • To access data from Azure Data Lake Store (ADLS) using PBI Desktop, the steps are:

2. You need to “Get data” from Azure -> Azure Data Lake

To access data from ADLS using PBI.com you need to create a report using PBI desktop and then upload it to PBI.com. The steps are:

1. Create report in PBI Desktop
      2. You need to “get data” from Azure -> Azure Data Lake
    2. Publish report to PBI.com (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-upload-desktop-files/)
    3. Once you do that, your report will be available on PowerBI that will connect to ADLS.

Please note that if you have a Microsoft account, the above steps will not work for you. We are working on a fix that will be rolled out in the coming weeks. You can certainly use your work/school accounts and the steps should work for you.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:18 PM
  • Thank you everyone for your quick response, especially Sachin

I tried to connect from PBI Desktop to Azure Data Lake and it worked quite well.

Hopefully we can see this ability is enabled for other BI/reporting tools as well (at least to popular products).

Best regards,

Vinh Lam

Friday, February 19, 2016 3:18 AM