none
How to install a text mode printer (Generic Text Only driver is missing) RRS feed

• Question

• How do we install text mode printers on On the Windows 7 Embedded Standard?

On the systems we have (they're HP thin clients) the "Generic/Text Only" printer drivers are not listed as they are in regular 7 - in fact the entire "Generic" category is missing.

Googling for this found a few people asking the same question, but no answers. Apparently it was possible to install the driver manually in Windows XP, but apparently not in 7.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:07 PM

All replies

• Since HP built the thin-client OS, I would ask them for an update to include the drivers.

If you are building the OS, you could patch the image using the drivers from the distritbution share + DISM.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:07 PM
  • Hi,

Are you saying the text driver would normally be installed, but was removed by HP?

We are not building our images from scratch, but installing the printer driver on the existing OS would be fine with me. However I can't find any source for this driver.

Thanks

Pedro

Thursday, January 3, 2013 12:36 AM
  • Not exactly - WES 7 is a special version of Windows 7 that allows OEMs to custom build Windows for embedded systems. The OEM in this case HP picked only the features they wanted in the image. It sounds like HP didn't include some basic printer drivers for their image.

Here is some introduction to WES 7 that might help:

http://www.annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_WES7/Intro_WES7%20V1.7.pdf

http://www.annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_WES7/rprrtc1101_sjj.pdf

It would be best to contact HP and see what they can do.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Ok, thanks. We'll talk to the vendor first.

• Proposed as answer by timwoodhouse Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:48 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by timwoodhouse Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:49 AM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:00 AM
  • All you have to do is create and share a generic / text printer on another windows 32 bit computer and then connect to this printer from your thin client.  The generic driver is then installed and available for you to use for installing other printers. 

• Proposed as answer by timwoodhouse Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:51 AM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:51 AM
  • It took time to solve this issue for me too but here is my solution worked easy and well..

WES7 is sharing same drivers with Windows7.

• First of all you must find which system type(x64 or x86) you use. Because drivers may not be same(I haven't tried and not sure if x64 is existing for WES7),
    • After finding your system type, you must find same type of windows7 pro or higher to copy driver files.(I took files from Win7 Pro x86),
    • On Win7Pro(x86) open folder "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository",
    • Find folder beginning with "prnge001.inf", this folder includes driver for TTY Generic Text Only,
    • In this folder there is inf file also, so you can do install from there.

Regards.

By the way, connecting from other client and trying to use same driver will not work if you cannot locate drivers on WES7. Because drivers which loaded automatically from remote computer will not shown at driver setup page.

• Proposed as answer by InWithMcNew Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:19 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:25 AM