none
Req 2.3 : Uninstall Cleanly - Should we uninstall a prerequisite like Crystal Reports for .Net Framework RRS feed

• Question

• My application needs Crystal Reports, so I added it as a prerequisite. So, when the user installs the application on his machine it checks for the presence of Crystal reports in the machine and if not present, it installs "Crystal Reports for .NET Framework" from the location of the exe(msi created by the deployment package, if CR option is checked in the "Prerequisites" in Package properties). This creates crystal reports dll's in the GAC.So,the actual application's msi is triggered after "CR for .Net Framework" installation is complete.
    Now if the application is uninstalled, should it also remove the "Crystal Reports for .Net Framework"(dll's from GAC) from the machine?

For the test case :TC2.3.1 : Does the application uninstall cleanly?
    Help would be highly appreciated.

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi there

This is a good question.

For Certification purposes pre-requisites that the user may need to install are not required to be uninstalled by your application's installer.

However it would be a user friendly feature to provide an option Uninstall Crystall reports to your users.

Note: If you haven't already, please be sure to register your application at https://microsoft.mrmpslc.com/InnovateOnWindowsServer/Secure/Default.aspx

Thanks,

[Venkat] | Windows Server Software Logo

www.InnovateOnWindowsServer.com

Monday, December 17, 2007 9:28 AM
  • Thanks Venkat. Your reply was a relief to me. I also agree with your recommendation to provide a user friendly feature to the user to uninstall Crystal Reports that was installed.

Monday, December 17, 2007 11:23 AM