Small Basic crashing when a key is pressed on Vista Home Premium / Dell Inspirion 1525 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi there. I just installed small basic. I can use all of the icons no problem, I have also tried to open new documents etc and all works fine. Whenver I begin to type code, small basic is crashing on the first keystroke everytime. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and rebooted. The same issue persists. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspirion 1525. The laptop is brand new and and has only been in use for a week or two. I have typed in the text from the pop up error box below. It gaves features abort, retry, ignore. Retry and Ignore lead to a complete lock up of the program.

I would like to try this software. Any advice or help is weclome. I have the latest .NET 3.5 framework installed.

Error Received is: Assertion Failed: 

at AValonTextView.OnTextBufferChanged(Object sender, TextChangedEventArgs e) at EvenHandler1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e) at BaseBuffer.RaiseChangedEvent(ITextSnapshot beforeSnapshhot, ITextSnapshot afterSnapshot, Normalized TextChangeCollection normalizedChanges, Object sourceToken) at BaseBuffer.FinishChangeApplication(NormalizedTextChangeCollection normalizedChanges, ITextSnapshot beforeSnapshot, Object sourceToken) at Edit.Apply()
    at BaseBuffer.Replace(Span replaceSpan, String replaceWith)
    at TextBufferChangeUndoPrimitive.Undo()
    at Undo.TransactionImpl.Cancel()
    at Undo TransactionImpl.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
    at UndoTransaction.Dispose()
    at EditorOperations.InsertText(String text, UndoHistory undo History)
    at DefaultKeyboardFilter.TextInput(IAvalon TextView textView, TextComposiitonEventArgs args)
    at AvalonTextViewHost.OnTextInput(Object sender, TextCompositionEvenArgs e)
    at TextCompositionEventAr......
    <truncated>

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:35 AM

All replies

• elm33, it looks like you're hitting a bug in Small Basic running on the localized version of the OS.  Could you try changing the locale the US-English and try again?  We'll fix the bug for the next release. 

Monday, November 10, 2008 10:34 AM
  • Hi there. I tried resetting my locale. It was already set to US-English but I went ahead and reset it for all users. I rebooted and then tried to run small basic again. Unfortunately it continues to crash the minute a key is pressed in the data entry window. Everything else works as far as click the buttons etc, but when you try to type it instantly crashes regardless of what button is pressed.

I also reinstalled .NET 3.5 to make sure there was no corruption issue there and still experencing the crash. Any help is appreciated. I had looked forward to playing with small basic.

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:31 AM
  • I apologize for the issues you're facing elm33.  I'm unable to figure out why this is happening on your system.  I ran through the code and it looks like an exception is triggered when the text is inserted into the buffer, which then tries to undo the transaction, resulting in the assert.  Because the assert masks the original exception, I'm unable to understand the real issue here.

Could you please hit "Ignore" when you hit the assert and then tell me what happens? 

Also, can you make sure there are no IMEs active at the time?

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:56 AM