IntelliSense not working with Azure SQL in SSMS 17.2 RRS feed

• Question

• I've downloaded SSMS 17.2, where IntelliSense is supposed to be working with Azure SQL now.

Unfortunately, in my case it does not. 

I am using SQL Server Authentication and I have enabled IntelliSense in Options (TextEditor -> IntelliSense -> Enable Intellisense), I also checked whether it is on with a single query.

I tried refreshing local cache and I even installed SSMS 17.2 again, but still no luck.

I am connecting as a user with the role of db_owner with a permission CONNECT.

I hope I'm just missing something obvious as I was so looking forward for this feature!

Friday, August 18, 2017 12:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Agnieszka,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with SSMS IntelliSense with Azure SQL DB. I noticed from your Twitter post that you’re using SQL Server Authentication.

Can you tell us the performance tier of the Azure SQL DB you’re connecting to? Is it Basic or Standard or Premium? How many DTUs?
    How many tables/views etc. do you have in the database?
    Do you get IntelliSense if you wait a few minutes after opening the query window?
    Aside from IntelliSense not working, are you able to connect normally to this database, run queries and view and edit data as you expect from SSMS?

The reason I’m asking all these questions is to understand whether you’re hitting the DTU limit for your database. It can sometimes take longer for SSMS to build the initial cache for IntelliSense and for T-SQL completions to work. While we continue to optimize them, some of the queries SSMS currently uses are expensive so a low DTU database with many objects may take longer to respond.

If you’ve tried waiting for several minutes and IntelliSense is still not working for you then I recommend filing a bug on Microsoft Connect so we can take a look: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback

Regards,
    Sanjay

Sanjay Nagamangalam [MSFT]. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Marked as answer by pituachMVP Sunday, March 25, 2018 9:47 AM
    Saturday, September 9, 2017 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please try the troubleshooting steps provided in the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/scripting/troubleshooting-intellisense

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, August 18, 2017 2:38 PM
  • Hello,

thank you for the reply, but none of the mentioned conditions is applicable in my case. I am trying to do a simple select and if I open a new window connected to the very same database which I have locally and try to write the exact same statement, the IntelliSense works perfectly.

The main difference I can see it that locally I connect as 'sa' and the to Azure as 'db_owner' with a permission CONNECT.

But I do have the permission to select from this table, as the query itself runs without any problem.

Best regards,

Agnieszka

Monday, August 21, 2017 6:02 AM
  • Hi Agnieszka,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with SSMS IntelliSense with Azure SQL DB. I noticed from your Twitter post that you’re using SQL Server Authentication.

Can you tell us the performance tier of the Azure SQL DB you’re connecting to? Is it Basic or Standard or Premium? How many DTUs?
    How many tables/views etc. do you have in the database?
    Do you get IntelliSense if you wait a few minutes after opening the query window?
    Aside from IntelliSense not working, are you able to connect normally to this database, run queries and view and edit data as you expect from SSMS?

The reason I’m asking all these questions is to understand whether you’re hitting the DTU limit for your database. It can sometimes take longer for SSMS to build the initial cache for IntelliSense and for T-SQL completions to work. While we continue to optimize them, some of the queries SSMS currently uses are expensive so a low DTU database with many objects may take longer to respond.

If you’ve tried waiting for several minutes and IntelliSense is still not working for you then I recommend filing a bug on Microsoft Connect so we can take a look: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback

Regards,
    Sanjay

Sanjay Nagamangalam [MSFT]. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Marked as answer by pituachMVP Sunday, March 25, 2018 9:47 AM
    Saturday, September 9, 2017 8:16 PM