Win 8 DEV BSOD @ "setting up devices 84%" error with ATIKMDAG.SYS

Question

• Downloaded the iso, hash checked fine, burnt using windows 7 built in iso burner.

Doing a clean install on a spare hard drive (formatted and checked)

BSOD after reboot and near completion of "setting up devices" screen, then after reboot, windows 8 trys to start and bring up the error that something went wrong and needs to be re-installed.

I had this problem when I added my Radeon Saphire HD5770 to windows 7 for the first time, sure it is the ATI drivers but given that this is a new ISO and fresh install I don't know a way to correct it, stop it installing the drivers or in fact install the correct ones during installation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Win 8, 64bit, AMD 955 3.2ghz  quad core

4gb DDR3 Ram

Saphire HD 5770

Thank you.

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:01 AM

Answers

• atikmdag.sys = ATI catalyst driver.

Here is the newest 64Bit driver (WDDM1.20) for the 5700 which I was offered to install after installing the WDP:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2011/09/200000260_fd5541123cd4b96f93fa4c71009dcec809c01310.cab

Inject it into the WIM with DISM and create a new ISO.

Maybe this helps.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:59 PM

All replies

• Got the full error message now:

Failed at 87% of setting up devices this time, after a format and a fresh install again;

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (atikmdag.sys) 

Friday, September 16, 2011 9:03 AM
  • atikmdag.sys = ATI catalyst driver.

Here is the newest 64Bit driver (WDDM1.20) for the 5700 which I was offered to install after installing the WDP:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2011/09/200000260_fd5541123cd4b96f93fa4c71009dcec809c01310.cab

Inject it into the WIM with DISM and create a new ISO.

Maybe this helps.

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Hey Andre...

I'm getting hung up during installation at 87%, right after resolution adjustment.

I suspect a similar situation to Guitarse'.

You wouldn't happen to have a new injectable 64-bit driver for an NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 laying around, would ya?

Thanks!  =)

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Sorry, I have no nVIDIA. I only use an ATI/AMD HD5770.

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:57 PM
  • Thanks for answering, anyway!

I thought you were a Mod here (with connections to injectable video drivers), but after re-reading the posts (and other posts in the forum here) I figured out you're just another dev like me.

(Except you have been around here a lot longer!)

I'm working on "injecting" Win7 drivers from NVIDIA.  We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for reading and answering!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:58 AM
  • So how would one inject a driver... specifically Nvidia 570 drivers. My system is on an SLI set up, though I currently have both cards running independently. Though I have frozen on 66% and 68%
    • Edited by AlexEmerald Saturday, December 31, 2011 8:44 PM Added more detailed feedback
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Get the ADK from the MSDN subscription page and install it. The ADK replaces the old WAIK. Extract the WIn8 ISO to the HDD, mount the install.wim and boot.wim with DISM.exe, integrate the drivers, commit the changes and unmount the WIM. Now create a new ISO.

Look for Windows 7 tutorials, the same applies to Windows 8.

• Proposed as answer by AlexEmerald Monday, January 2, 2012 5:12 PM
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Thank you so much!

Now I don't know if that is my problem though. Every time I run the install it goes up a few percent. I was last on 70% - and then it just stays frozen. No BSOD or anything else....

Think that would fix it?

Monday, January 2, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Hey AlexEmerald,

Yes the steps given by Andre.Ziegler may solve the issue for you. Another possibility is that disconnect all unnecessary hardware and connections during the installation will allow you to proceed through the entire installation. Some examples of hardware and connections that could be disconnected are fax, scanner, webcam, camera, external device dock, etc.

Also you may want to try downloading the .ISO for the Windows Developer Preview again to ensure that your original .ISO file wasn't corrupted or incomplete. You can check the Sha 1 hash of the .ISO you downloaded to the Sha 1 hash that is listed on the download page linked below:
    Windows Developer Preview downloads

The ability to check the Sha 1 hash of the .ISO is not built into Windows. You will need to download a program that can check the Sha 1 hash if you wish to check this.

One last possibility is that you may have a good .ISO image downloaded, but the disc didn't burn properly. To test this you could try burning the disc again and enable the check disc after burning option if the program you are using supports that functionality.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:56 PM
  • I was last on 70% - and then it just stays frozen. No BSOD or anything else....

press the CAP LOCKS key when you have the freeze during Setup. If the light on the keyboard changes, it is a software issue, if the light doesn't change it is a hardware issue in the Setup which caused the freeze.

If it is a software issue try to integrate the driver into a new image and try to install Windows.

• Edited by Andre.Ziegler Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:49 AM d'oh. 2 times software. No it is one hardware and 1 software issue
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:44 PM