none
Windows 7 message at start up:microsoft.net framework version 2.0 is required to continue RRS feed

• Question

• It always displays this at start up, which is weird since it has these versions installed. Any suggestions?
    Friday, December 4, 2009 6:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Perfected27,

Thank you for your post.

For Windows 7, .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 is shipped with it as one of OS component.
    For .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1, it includes .NET 2.0 with SP2 and .NET 3.0 with SP2 as prerequisite.
    This means, you have the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes on Windows 7. They are OS components. We don't need to manually install it.

Please use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0. If .Net Framework 2.0 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 on Windows 7.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx (also apply to Windows 7)

Or you can try to repair OS. Here is a KB about this, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/

Since .NET Framework 2.0 is installed as a part of the OS, the cause can be that OS is not well installed on your PC.
    If the issue is related to Windows 7 installation, I think the best consulting place should be Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment forums.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, December 11, 2009 6:48 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Perfected27,

Thank you for your post.

For Windows 7, .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 is shipped with it as one of OS component.
    For .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1, it includes .NET 2.0 with SP2 and .NET 3.0 with SP2 as prerequisite.
    This means, you have the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes on Windows 7. They are OS components. We don't need to manually install it.

Please use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0. If .Net Framework 2.0 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 on Windows 7.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx (also apply to Windows 7)

Or you can try to repair OS. Here is a KB about this, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/

Since .NET Framework 2.0 is installed as a part of the OS, the cause can be that OS is not well installed on your PC.
    If the issue is related to Windows 7 installation, I think the best consulting place should be Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment forums.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, December 11, 2009 6:48 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 8:41 AM
  • Are you saying that its has bugs in the system? Besides that i allready tried the verification tool and the sfc scan now both did not report any problems.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 7:52 PM
  • Hi Perfected27,

Thank you for your reply.

Some clarification with you:
    Do you mean that the problem still exists even you have tried SFC Tool?
    What's the verification result of .NET Framework 2.0? Successful or failed?

Based on the error message, there would be some causes for it to happen. It might be that .NET Framework 2.0 of Windows 7 is not well installed.
    Thus, if the suggestion doesn't work, I would suggest you to try repairing OS since .NET 2.0 becomes OS component in Windows 7.'
    Or try Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment forum. There're more Windows 7 experts that can help you a lot on your issue.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, December 8, 2009 7:16 AM typo
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:33 AM
  • I'm an end user with a new pc that is running windows 7. It's already had over 60 updates applied in just a few days time.

I don't know why, but my problem is I get this message "Microsoft .Net Framework Version 2.0 is required to continue" in a "required system software not installed window".

It seems to me from reading the above that MS is wanting us to resolve an issue that I would think is MS's to solve.

Friday, February 26, 2010 10:08 PM
  • Hi Perfected27,

Thank you for your reply.

Some clarification with you:
    Do you mean that the problem still exists even you have tried SFC Tool?
    What's the verification result of .NET Framework 2.0? Successful or failed?

Based on the error message, there would be some causes for it to happen. It might be that .NET Framework 2.0 of Windows 7 is not well installed.
    Thus, if the suggestion doesn't work, I would suggest you to try repairing OS since .NET 2.0 becomes OS component in Windows 7.'
    Or try Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment forum. There're more Windows 7 experts that can help you a lot on your issue.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Yes the problem still exists with the SFC Tool and the Vericication result was successful. But i still get the framework 2.0 message upon boot up. Any suggestions?
    Monday, March 1, 2010 9:06 PM
  • Is microsoft going to have a fix for this sometime?

Friday, March 19, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Anyone have any sugesstions?
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 10:10 PM
  • What I dont get is that I have all the .net things installed(Found the framework folders). The SFC doesnt find anything wrong. The verification tool says i have 2,3,3. I believe windows 7 64bit cant have framework 1.0 and 1.1, So why does that annoying message still pop up everytime? Does the system think that its not there?
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 11:58 PM
  • I am having the same Issue that upon windows 7 64bit startup I get the following message:
    http://cid-ed1a37150dabcd2d.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/RequiredSystemSoftware.jpg

I went to the following msdn site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kb00318785.aspx and verified that I do have .net framework v2.0.50727 installed:
    http://cid-ed1a37150dabcd2d.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/v2050727.jpg

The system is working fine, it's just the annoying pop up that shows up every time I reboot.

Any help woule be appreciated

CodeRight Design: www.coderightdesign.com
    Friday, April 9, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Although I do not have the solution It looks that the error is coming for a printer diriver/software. Does anyone have a printer with its software installed?

Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:13 AM
  • I also have this same pop up at start up and i also have it when ever i try to print pictures or transfer pictures from my memory card. I am using a computer with windows 7 and i do think it has something to do with my printer software. I have tried to reinstall my printer software and that didn't work and i have tried to install the .net framework 2.0 that it tells me but so far nothing has worked. Any suggestions???
    Friday, May 28, 2010 12:31 AM
  • This message started to pop up after I installed the driver software for my Lexmark x6650.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 10:11 PM
  • I get exactly the same , although I have loaded the updated version 4 now...but it still calls for version 2. Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7. I am running 64bit

John

Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:36 PM
  • I have exactly the same issue, and  my problems started after installing driver software for my Lexmark printer. I have used the verification tool and it reported no problems.
    Monday, November 29, 2010 4:53 PM
  • Not that it helps, but I would also like to post that I have the same issue with a Dell V305 printer.  I can not open the "Imaging Toolbox" as it will give me that annoying popup.  is there any solution?

• Proposed as answer by David Sarokin Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:41 AM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:23 PM
  • This is a common problems with Lexmark printers, though I imagine it can happen with other printers as well. The issue is that Lexmark mistakenly installs a 32-bit driver for Windows 7 64 bit systems. You have to uninstall the printer, reboot, go to the Lexmark site, and download and install the correct driver for your printer and for Windows 7, 64 bit.

Take a look at their write-up for a bit more detail:

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=answerlink&userlocale=EN_US&segment=SUPPORT&locale=en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.lexmark.com%2Findex%3Fpage%3Dcontent%26id%3DSO5092%26actp%3Dsearch%26viewlocale%3Den_US&productCode=&answerid=16777219&searchid=1293590705744

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:46 AM
  • Thank you for these posts!  I was having an issue with my brand new dell and was getting the same error message.  It was my Lexmark printer all along!
    Monday, January 9, 2012 11:39 PM
  • What u guys need to do is go to Lexmark international and download 64bit driver for your printer type. On top of the  lexmark site you will see an American flag, click the down arrow and sellect United Kingdom (they speak english).  Go to download and Support, type your printer type i.e x6675, filter to sellect Windows 64bit.

then download the correct driver for your priner..

Our politicians are making coroporations rip us of (they want us to buy new printers every year).  Corporations lobby to make sure we keep spending the little money we have.  In Europe, the politicians are a little sensible, the dont like wastage.  I have 2 old lexmark pinters gathering dusts because of lack of support for them.

• Edited by wallytiger Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:34 PM
  • I was troubleshooting a client with this issue and found that the Dell 305 printer was installed. I tried to remove it following these directions:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_365853&isLegacy=true

Make sure the V105, V305 or V505 printer software has been uninstalled.
    1. Click Start.
    2. Click All Programs.
    3. Click Dell Printers.
    4. Click on your printer model number.
    5. Click Uninstall and follow the instructions.

I received an error message that the printer was in use and couldn't be removed, even after I removed the printer from "Devices and Printers". I stopped the print spooler and ran the uninstaller again and that resolved the issue for me.

Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Hello,

May I know have you Installed Lexmark printer on your computer?

If yes, please un-install the driver for the Lexmark printer and try to Install the correct driver.

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=productSelection&channel=supportAndDownloads&locale=en&userlocale=EN_US

Try to get the exact driver from the lexmark webpage.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:38 AM