none
How do I get the value from a PEC field only available through a PDP in MSP2013 Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a macro that successfully opens the project schedule and reads the schedule based Custom fields (Enterprise and local) and manipulates the contents to produce a series of reports. But I need to include the values of the fields in the PDPs as well.

We have a series of Enterprise Custom fields defined on our MSP 2013 server.

These fields are not linked to the schedules directly, but are only 'visible' through the schedules Project detail pages

Using the 'usual' ActiveProject.ProjectSummaryTask.GetField  doesn't work because there is no direct link to the project schedule.

How do I access these Enterprise Custom fields using VBA from an Excel macro.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 3:11 AM

Answers

• Ah, mystery solved :)

You have bumped into a Project Pro limitation, it can't deal with rich text fields.  Use a single line of text and you should be in a much better situation.

Multiple Lines of Text:

This option is available only for Project Text fields. The project field created by using this option is not visible in the project information tab in Project Professional. However, this field can be exposed by using a Web-based Project Detail Page.

Cheers,

James.

James Boman BSc. MCP:EAD -

Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Graeme,

I don't understand your scenario where ECFs that are available on a Project Detail Page are independent of the project? - they must be associated with the project otherwise they couldn't appear on a PDP...

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 5:14 AM
  • Ben, the ECFs are all created in PWA, but in some way (which I am not across) they have not been linked to the project schedules generated from the template applicable to this class of project (ie. you cannot see them in the Project Information window or insert them as columns in the schedule).

The ECFs are linked to the schedules Project Detail Pages and appear as fields in those pages.

Because the ECFs aren't linked to the schedules, I can't get at them via the usual Summary Task path.

We currently have a series of purpose built management oriented reports that include the content of these fields, but there is a class of project that these reports do not cover - and won't in the foreseeable future due to funding restrictions.

I am trying to replicate the existing reports for the schedules not covered, hence the need to find a way to get at the 'missing' fields.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:21 AM
  • Hmm, I don't know why they wouldn't be linked, are they SharePoint List Projects?

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:41 AM
  • I don't understand the term "SharePoint List projects"

The schedules/sites are generated from a specific template that includes a raft of special Registers incorporated into their sites as well as a significant number of ECFs to provide Traffic Light reporting and text to provide management level reporting. Work flow to come as processes mature.

Except where they are master schedules (the usual caveat with PWA), they can be (and are) accessible and updateable from PWA.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 8:16 AM
  • A SharePoint Task List project is a category of project, and one of the consequences is that the project task list is not editable in the schedule web part.  It sounds as though your projects are not of this type.

You may not be able to access certain ECFs if you are utilising the project department ECF - is this the case?

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 8:24 AM
  • I have had a look at a number of these ECFs and the Department field has not been utilised -

I tried to include a screen shot of the ECF definition of one of the fields in question, but it seems I am not trusted enough just yet to be allowed to do this :-(

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 8:55 AM
  • Hi Graeme,

I'm afraid I've run out of ideas, this certainly is not the functionality that I would expect to see.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 10:01 AM
  • Thanks for the time Ben, I haven't seen any threads elsewhere on this problem so I am assuming whatever they have done to set this up is a little 'off the wall', even if it is permissible MS functionality. I will have to see if I can get some more technical info on what they have done - given the job was outsourced, that could be an interesting exercise.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 11:17 PM
  • Graeme,

I'm no macro boffin (so I may have misunderstood the problem), but if you have project-level Enterprise Custom Fields that are not "multiple lines of text" and not workflow controlled, and you are editing a connected "Enterprise Project" (as opposed to a task-list or "Visibility" mode project) ... then I would expect the custom fields to appear in the Project Information panel.  If this is not happening, then I would double-check the assumptions. 

Cheers,

J.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 12:36 AM
  • James, thanks for your input.

The fields are multiple lines of text, they accept/respond to Return keystrokes as text (etc.) and (more or less) reflect pasted text from formatted sources (bullet points, tabs, etc.)

Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:01 AM
  • Ah, mystery solved :)

You have bumped into a Project Pro limitation, it can't deal with rich text fields.  Use a single line of text and you should be in a much better situation.

Multiple Lines of Text:

This option is available only for Project Text fields. The project field created by using this option is not visible in the project information tab in Project Professional. However, this field can be exposed by using a Web-based Project Detail Page.

Cheers,

James.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:48 AM
  • Thanks James - not what I wanted to hear, but that's life. Graeme
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:29 AM
  • Thanks James - not what I wanted to hear, but that's life. Graeme

Yeah - you might want to re-think your strategy on this one.

Perhaps getting the Project Site URL and inserting the report results in to a SharePoint list via REST or CSOM might be the better alternative. (Not sure if you can make web requests via your Macro)

There are then various ways to expose SharePoint list information from the project site on a PDP.

Cheers,

James.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:56 AM