Is it possible to create natural language processing project in vb.net? as it is possible in python. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project in natural language processing, my supervisor suggested me to use python, but i dont want to use python........is it possible that i can do same work in vb.net...??

please help..

regards..

• Moved by Mike Danes Sunday, May 3, 2015 10:52 AM not BCL specific
    Friday, May 1, 2015 7:08 AM

Answers

• VB.Net is a multi-purpose tool that can do a lot. If it's useful for you depends on what exactly what you want to do with it. "A project in natural language processing" is not specific enough to make a statement about it, so I  can only say: Maybe. Which criteria must be fulfilled so that you consider it the right tool?

Armin

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Monday, May 4, 2015 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Youjun Tang Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:18 AM
    Sunday, May 3, 2015 1:49 PM
  • As Armin says you can do a lot - so the answer is probably yes. It ought to be possible to do anything Python can do in VB but it could be a lot harder. Depends on why your supervisor suggested Python. Maybe he knows of freely available libraries that you could use. I believe that's the sort of thing you can find in Python. Don't know about VB but I suspect there's not much around.

May be have a word with your supervisor and ask why she (or he) suggested Python.

Regards David R
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones.
    Object-oriented programming offers a sustainable way to write spaghetti code. - Paul Graham.
    Every program eventually becomes rococo, and then rubble. - Alan Perlis
    The only valid measurement of code quality: WTFs/minute.

• Marked as answer by Youjun Tang Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:19 AM
    Sunday, May 3, 2015 5:15 PM

All replies

• VB.Net is a multi-purpose tool that can do a lot. If it's useful for you depends on what exactly what you want to do with it. "A project in natural language processing" is not specific enough to make a statement about it, so I  can only say: Maybe. Which criteria must be fulfilled so that you consider it the right tool?

Armin

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Monday, May 4, 2015 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Youjun Tang Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:18 AM
    Sunday, May 3, 2015 1:49 PM
  • As Armin says you can do a lot - so the answer is probably yes. It ought to be possible to do anything Python can do in VB but it could be a lot harder. Depends on why your supervisor suggested Python. Maybe he knows of freely available libraries that you could use. I believe that's the sort of thing you can find in Python. Don't know about VB but I suspect there's not much around.

May be have a word with your supervisor and ask why she (or he) suggested Python.

Regards David R
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones.
    Object-oriented programming offers a sustainable way to write spaghetti code. - Paul Graham.
    Every program eventually becomes rococo, and then rubble. - Alan Perlis
    The only valid measurement of code quality: WTFs/minute.

• Marked as answer by Youjun Tang Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:19 AM
    Sunday, May 3, 2015 5:15 PM
  • I have a project in natural language processing, my supervisor suggested me to use python, but i dont want to use python........is it possible that i can do same work in vb.net...??

Two examples:

https://vbnlp.codeplex.com/
    http://weblogs.asp.net/nleghari/antelope-nlp-framework-for-net-framework

Sunday, May 3, 2015 9:55 PM
  • In addition to Armin,

There are probably even more "Natural" languages than "program" languages with their own characters. 

Can you explain what characters and what language you mean?

Success
    Cor

Monday, May 4, 2015 8:36 AM