none
Windows Store submission rules for social apps

Question

• Let's begin to discuss my personal developer story of Microsoft bureaucracy and inconsistency of Windows Store certification policies.

I have a many-year hobbyist mobile app project: mobile client for a popular Russian internet forum which is very similar to 4chan. And all those years I have regular problems with Microsoft Store Certification team who fails to see that this client app is a social app, so have no content itself, all the content is provided by users.

This popular and well-known internet forum (as 4chan), of course, have a quite liberal standards on internet communications - such as internet trolling, usage of explicit language, posting of sexually suggestive pictures and so on. It's a common things that typical bored office workers, students, army men and ... well, common people in general love to do at any existing internet forums in our Universe.

This internet forum is post-moderated forum, forums moderators staff are accepting complaints and forum is operating legally and compliant to Russia internet regulation laws.

But Microsoft Windows Store certification bureucrats know better than Russia government and courts which internet forums should be banned and how they should protect people from the Evils of Internet.

Microsoft Store certification staff should be working at Christian Church, I think. As they often reject my submissions due to "violation of content policy". I probably forced to start over and over again discussions with Microsoft certification staff about what social app in nature is. And often updates to my app are allowed only after discussions and consultations with Windows Store staff on email.

C'mon! It's a social app. You can find many things which hurt "conservative chrisitan feelings" on Facebook, Instagram if you dig carefully. On Facebook you can find outright Nazi symbolics, glorification of Adolf Hitler and justification of Holocaust. And Facebook app is never rejected from submission to store because of it.

I find store age rating enough mean to protect children from content which can harm young minds. After all, "users interact" and "explicit language" are giving 17+ age rating on social app and it's truthful thing. I absolutely welcome the idea that children shouldn't visit common social networks and internet forums.

But adult people have their right to use internet if these internet resources doesn't violate national and international laws. No silly store certification bureaucrat should impose censorship on Internet to please his own feelings. There are NATIONAL INTERNET REGULATION LAWS to do such things.

Microsoft approach to the regulation of SOCIAL apps (most often mobile clients optimized to save mobile internet traffic) is FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG and is hurting all the people greatly. These policies to SOCIAL apps are simply idiotic, counter-productive. These ABSOLUTELY IRRELEVANT AND DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY policies are constant source of frustration and depression for developers of NOT-SO-PRIVILEGED social apps.

Microsoft, please. Be realistic. Change your policies for social apps. 17+ age rating IS ENOUGH

SOCIAL APP DEVELOPER SHOULD NOT BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE USER GENERATED CONTENT ON INTERNET FORUM, ESPECIALLY WHEN THIS FORUM IS MODERATED, RECEIVING COMPLAINTS AND OPERATING UNDER NATIONAL INTERNET CONTENT REGULATION LAWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Edited by Muipo Wednesday, August 24, 2016 11:47 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 11:39 AM

All replies

• oh yes, you're soooo right.
    but you've got to keep in mind that those people are americans. and they behave like americans including their double standards.

splatter shooters for 12 year old children... no problem
    even buying legally (!) a gun for those child... no problem
    the same 12 years old child seeing a woman's breast for 1 second... oh gosh, the end of the world is near!

freeing the world by bombing it to its knees...

I understand exactly what you mean.
    But THEY will never understand.
    For in the very last, we do share different values.

• Edited by wolfSYS Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:32 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:29 PM