SharePoint 2007 Workflow Unable to Approve RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm working with SharePoint 2007 OOTB approval workflow on Pages, it was working fine most of the time, however, sometime (very rare) the page appear to be unable to approve.

Workflow Implementation:

1) create workflow in Page, go to Pages Setting --> Workflow Settings --> Add a workflow

2) Workflow setting:

Check on "Start this workflow to approve publishing a major version of an item"

Assign task: One participant at a time (serial)

Approvers: UserGroupA; UserGroupB

Assign a single task to each group entered (Do not expand groups)

Workflow behavior:

when a new page is created, notification is send to users in UserGroupA, any user from the group approve will escalate to UserGroupB, the page is published after approval from any user in UserGroupB

Troubleshooting Found:

It happen ONLY when users in UserGroupB try to approve the page, in Workflow Tasks List, the "Status" indicated it was completed, and "% Complete" was blank out (normally it is 100% if the task is completed). If these workflow is cancel by administrator and submit for approval again, the same user is now ABLE to approve the page.

Any idea what is the root cause of these issue? could it cause by network slowness? it seem like a bug in SharePoint OOTB workflow.

Please give advises and suggestions what else should I do troubleshoot? 

Thank you in advanced.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi sams371,

I followed the steps as you described, the workflow works well, I’m sorry that I cannot reproduce your issue.

Please refresh the page when this scenario occurs to check whether it works.

Please check the workflow history of the item that unable to approval (click the workflow status of the item to go to workflow status page), whether the workflow history data shows workflow run correct. Also, please go to SharePoint ULS log for more information: The ULS log is in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Hi,

1. Whether it is happening for all users in userGroupB or with only few users from that group.

2.  Check if timer services are running fine in all your WFEs.

3. When this issue happens check the ULS logs to find any additional details.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Friday, September 9, 2011 2:48 AM
  • Hi Qiao Wei,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it should not produce any issue, it only happen once awhile (average once a month).

Friday, September 9, 2011 8:03 AM
  • Hi Rahul Rashu,

Thank you for your reply.

It happen to all users in userGroupB, cancel of workflow and resubmit is required in order to proceed.

Friday, September 9, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

Then check the points 2 and 3 in my previous post.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Friday, September 9, 2011 8:38 AM