Is there an issue with the Technet and MSDN websites layout / display / format ? RRS feed

• Question

• (First, sorry if this post is not on the right place. I assumed this is where we give feedback on TechNet and MSDN sites)

For a few months now, I observed that both MSDN and TechNet sites have had their layout / format / style changed. Looking in this forum, I have seen comments about the Classic View and Lightweight View (see http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/libraryfeedback/thread/bbfb492b-4c85-4e8d-ab44-423c4050089e); the thread was initiated in December last year, that is when I started having problems.

Depending on the browser and its version, the result may differ. I tried with IE8 with all regular updates on my Win7 SP1 machine. Then I tried with Firefox Portable (see http://www.portableapps.com), and finally with IE 10. While using IE, I tried to use InPrivate mode because this deactivate add-ons. I also tried to connect on the US site manually instead of having IE redirecting me to the "Swiss" site because he knows I am leaving there. All in all, I did not found any answer on why the MSDN and TechNet sites are so badly displayed.

See samples screen captures:

By accident, I got a normal layout on a page whose address ended with "(v=v.100) ", something similar to what was existing in the past when Visual Studio is installed on the machine (this is my case). I tried to install Silverlight 5, .Net Framework 4.5 and the Java Run-time of Oracle, but none of these actions did solve the problem. From time to time, the US sites (.../en-US/) give better results than the Swiss sites (.../fr-ch/); and sometimes, this is the French site that is better (.../fr-fr/). But there does not seem to be any consistency over time, as if this was more depending on the updates of the sites rather than on what is installed on my machine.

Did any of you experienced similar problems ?

Cheers,
    D.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:08 AM