none
Starting point on form RRS feed

• Question

• I've read the threads about a starting point for the mouse in a document, but can't seem to understad how to get it done. I don't really understand completely how the macro works. I followed the steps but it doesn't seem to work. I didn't really have a problem with previous editions of WORD, but WORD 2010 is different when it comes to creating documents with form fields.

Is there an easy step by step explanation or do I need to know how to use visual basic?

When users open the template I want the cursor to be in the first data entry field, then they can just tab through the document to enter items. Currently the cursor is defaulted to a text box at the top of the document and if I tab, it inserts a tab and moves the text box and the rest of the templates contents down the page. Am I doing something wrong when I select or group items?

Friday, April 4, 2014 4:45 PM

Answers

• Windows Word 2007 and later have a new kind of form field - these are called content controls and do behave differently. Unlike the old "Online Forms Fields," now known as "Legacy Forms Fields" they can be used without "protecting the Document for Forms", but if you want to use them and want something like the old behaviour you can still "protect for forms". If you prefer to use the old type of fields, in the Developer Tab, Controls Group, click the dropdown whose tooltip says "Legacy Forms" (typically in the 3rd row, 3rd column) and use the first row of controls. That type of control still works in Windows WOrd 2007, 2010 and 2013 - in Mac Word 2011 it's the only type of control available. But you still need to "Protect for Forms"

Peter Jamieson

Saturday, April 5, 2014 10:56 PM