locked
Skydrive REST API giving inconsistent results. RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have recently been using the REST API to upload camera images and videos from my server to my SkyDrive account. Uploading files generally works good, but under certain conditions I get an error back from the the live API server.

    After a series of successful file uploads I get the following:

    "{ "error": { "code": "server_internal_error", "message": "An error occurred while performing the action. Try again later." } }"

    And sometimes I get an empty string response. The strange part is that the file is there in my SkyDrive folder. 

    As an attempt to confirm the file has uploaded, if I get this error or empty response, I try to get the file info, and sometimes it returns it, and sometimes it doesn't. It is very confusing and very hard to verify the files.

    My Scope is the following:

    'wl.skydrive_update wl.skydrive wl.contacts_skydrive wl.photos wl.offline_access'.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

    --
    Mark

    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:18 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi Mark, is there any kind of consistency to which files are not being uploaded (certain files always error out), or does it seem to be random (a file may error out, but then upload correctly on a subsequent attempt)?
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:59 PM
    Moderator
  • This is a hard one, since if I do all the files in the same order from the same set of files, I could say yes. As soon as I change the order different files give the error. At one point I took all the files that gave an error (about 8 or 9 out of 179) and just tried those ones, and they were successful. I have been banging my head against the wall on this one.

    Again, the strangest part is that they only reply back with an error, they all appear fine on SkyDrive.'

    --

    Mark

    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:59 PM
  • This is a hard one, since if I do all the files in the same order from the same set of files, I could say yes. As soon as I change the order different files give the error. At one point I took all the files that gave an error (about 8 or 9 out of 179) and just tried those ones, and they were successful. I have been banging my head against the wall on this one.

    Again, the strangest part is that they only reply back with an error, they all appear fine on SkyDrive.'

    --

    Mark

    I know this is frustrating but we need some more details such as a network trace of the failed operations or even just some details of the account & files that failed to be able to investigate this issue. 

    Sorry about any inconvenience here. 

    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:55 PM
  • I do have my logs. Here is the full transfer list:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1121896/skydrivetransfer.log

    At first glance it looks as if its 3gp files failing, but when you look closer you will find that they don't always fail, and that other files fail too. Any file that doesn't have an error after it was transferred and received the expected result back. I have attempted to log out all replies that I get back from the SkyDrive API. My process is:

    1. Upload file (all of them done the same way using PUT requests)

    2. Look at response, if its formed like in the documentation, continue to next file, if not go to 3.

    3. Wait 30 seconds, then check to see if file exists on skydrive. if it does, return true and continue to next file, if not, go to step 4.

    4. Attempt the upload again following steps 1-3.

    5. still no reply, return failure.

    You will see in the transfer log each of these steps. if and the result if a there was a failure. I have done this exact same transfer multiple times, and I have gotten from 270/279 files transferred to a complete 279/279 files transferred.

    Let me know if you need anything else.

    Thanks.

    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Hi Mark,

    I would like to help you with this issue. It would be a great start for me if I could get your client ID. Please DO NOT post your client secret :-)

    Thanks,

    Matt

    Saturday, June 2, 2012 3:21 AM
  • Hi Matt,

    As requested, here is my client ID:

    00000000440BD402

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Monday, June 4, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Mark has started a new thread that I will continue to support his issue on.
    The new thread can be found here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/messengerconnect/thread/021bbc50-52e2-4b31-84f4-d0dec3a32a11
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:24 PM