Redirections RRS feed

• Question

• User649852103 posted

Hi - I have a large site, in excess of 3000 pages.

we switched from PHP to ASP.net and all our pages are deafult.aspx.  we want to remove the default.aspx but this will require us to redirect each of these pages it seems.  is this the case?  in addition is there a limit to the number of redirections that can be acheived and what is the best way of doing this?  I have been told that there is a limit to the number of redirects that can be added and 3000 redirects would be above this.  is there a way round this /  a better way than .htaccess of redirecting?

We still have approx 600 PHP redirects fromk the previous php version of the site

many thanks in advance for any help provided

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:22 AM

Answers

• User753101303 posted

You likely have a limit for successive redirections depending on the browser.

I don't see why you would have an overall server side limit plus the idea would be to use rules (as regular expressions) rather than to hardcode each and every redirection keeping this to a minimal set of rules. You could also just test (this is typically something that is likely not reached often if it exists so 1) you'll have a hard time to fiond someone telling you about this limit 2) it could have changed since this person had this

At some point you may want also to really do the change to avoid having redirections where you could just have a real true physical layout that would make more sense than the current one.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:37 AM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

It's unclear. "all our pages are default.aspx" ??? Do you mean you have tons of folders and inside each of those folder you have a different default.aspx page ?

"this will require us to redirect each of these pages it seems" Unsure, which page do you want to delete. What redirection do you want to put in place ?

"3000 redirects limits (we have 600 PHP redirects)" : unclear. Why would you have that much redirection ? For now I'm not sure to really understand what is your site architecture ?  Or do you use url rewriting ? Don't you do that using general rules or do you use a rule for each particular case ?

Perhaps just me but I don't see what you are trying to do ? Could you try to explain the overall goal rather than the technical solution you have put in place. For now I basically understand you perhaps use some complex redirection scheme but I have no idea about which goal you reached by doing so.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:22 AM
  • User649852103 posted

Hi PatriceSc - thank you for getting back to me, and thanks a lot for your help

OK here are the requirements requested

1.  we do not want to have default.aspx appended to all our URLs want example.com/page rather than example.com/page.aspx

2.  The URL structure is poor in the current site.  so we wish to redirect to a new set of urls   currently for example example.com/category/cateogry/category/page  just want  example.com/category/ so we need to redirect to ensure search engine recognise is the same page.  we want to change the entire architecture of the site pages, of which there are 2000+ so we would need all these pages to be redirected

I hope this makes sense to you, please let me know.

Thanks

Nick

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:04 AM
  • User753101303 posted

So example.com/page is a folder ? If you use a link such as example.com/page/ (note the trailing slash) you should be able to show example.com/page/default.apx without even using any rewriting or redirection rule (and the browser won't directly show this either in the address bar).

Beyond that, try : http://www.hanselman.com/blog/RedirectingASPNETLegacyURLsToExtensionlessWithTheIISRewriteModule.aspx

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:28 AM
  • User649852103 posted

ok thank you very much.

in terms of the number of redirections that can be permitted. is there a limit?

going back to previous example if i was to redirect example.com/category/category/page to example.com/category/page  i will need a redirect.  how is best to do this with asp and is there a restriction on the number of redirections i can use, is there a memory limit?

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:28 PM
  • User649852103 posted

could anyone please help me with an answer to this

many thanks

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:50 AM
  • User753101303 posted

You likely have a limit for successive redirections depending on the browser.

I don't see why you would have an overall server side limit plus the idea would be to use rules (as regular expressions) rather than to hardcode each and every redirection keeping this to a minimal set of rules. You could also just test (this is typically something that is likely not reached often if it exists so 1) you'll have a hard time to fiond someone telling you about this limit 2) it could have changed since this person had this

At some point you may want also to really do the change to avoid having redirections where you could just have a real true physical layout that would make more sense than the current one.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:37 AM