MobileBroadbandAccount.AvailableNetworkAccountIds Fails.

Question

• I'm trying to make Metro style app which uses Mobile Broadband API.
    But MobileBroadbandAccountAvailableNetworkAccountIds Returns an Empty List.
    The sample source code is "Mobile broadband account and device management sample".

I collected the WWAN log. It show the error below.
    [Microsoft-Windows-Mobile-Broadband-Experience-Api]MobileBroadbandAccount.AvailableNetworkAccountIds: There are no account IDs that this app can use. This app's package is not in the list of approved package family names in serviceinfo.xml inside the associated metadata package.

I checked serviceinfo.xml in the metadata. but there is no package family name tag in it.

I get the Note that this functionality is only available to mobile operator apps and Metro style apps given privileged access by mobile network operators. The question is how can Metro style apps obtain privileged access by mobile network operators. Do mobile network operators need to add the Package Name and Publisher Name to Privileged Applications in the metadata package? Or other steps? 

I tried to create the service metadata package by updating the existing service metadata package located in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataCache\dmrccache\en-US\*.devicemetadata.ms" using Mobile Broadband Metadata Authoring Wizard.  The existing metadata package is generated when I insert the sim card to the windows8 RT version device. I just added the "Mobile broadband account and device management sample" package Name and Publisher Name to Privileged Applications and keep other elements unchanged, and copy the newly generated metadata package to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataStore\en-us\".

But still MobileBroadbandAccountAvailableNetworkAccountIds Returns an Empty List and the WWAN log is the same.

What should I do?

• Edited by HelloJ Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:54 AM OEM development
    Monday, March 18, 2013 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Fisrtly, check your metadata, in Associations tab of Device Metadata Authoring Wizard, add PID&VID of your MBIM device to Hardware ID, like below snapshort shown

in Applications tab of Device Metadata Authoring Wizard, make sure that the Package Name, Publisher, App ID are same with the relative one in your windows store app

secondly, configure metadata:

1. run CMD with administrator privilege, type in bcdedit –set testsigning on , enter, make it successful
    2. Delete keys in registry, if they do not exist, skip this step, locate to  Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE->Microsoft->WwanSvc->MobileBroadbandAccounts, delete Accounts and NetworkInterfaceBindings under MobileBroadbandAccounts
    3. delete multiloc folder in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataCache\dmrccache, if it does not exist, skip this step.
    4. copy metadata to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataStore\en-US
    5. wait for a short time, you will see  a folder named multiloc is generated in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataCache\dmrccache

and in folder multiloc, a folder same name with metadata is generated, open SoftwareInfo.xml in folder Software, make sure Identity Name,    Publisher ,Applciation Id are same with the on in metadata; if they are not, repeat step 1 to 5

Regards,

Jenny

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:53 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your answer.

My test environment is Pad installed win8 RT version, and the Pad has LTE.

When I inserted a sim card into the Pad, a new network adapter named EM7700 appeared in the Device Manager as the following image.

I got the Hardware Ids from EM7700 Properties and add them to Hardware ID in the Device Metadata Authoring Wizard.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:07 AM
  • I filled the Applications tab as the following.

I pulled out the SIM card, and did first 4 steps of the 5 steps you suggested. Then I inserted the SIM card again and restart the Pad. I checked the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataCache\dmrccache, but the folder same name with metadata is not generated. There is another devicemetadata folder under the \dmrccache\<locale> folder. The structure is as the following.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:07 AM
  • PackageInfo.xml

SoftwareInfo.xml

I guess this metadata is the service metadata for operator apps. Right?

"Mobile broadband account and device management sample" still doesn't work.

Looking forward to your answer. Thank you.

Regards,

Jessica

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:08 AM
  • Hi Jessica,

this service metadata is used to give Windows Store apps privileged access by mobile network operators.

as you could see,  the windows store app Mobile broadband account and device management sample does not appear in your SoftwareInfo.xml, so this app does not work, steps above should work if your machine support the functionality

a sucessful sample is like below,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <SoftwareInfo xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2010/08/DeviceMetadata/SoftwareInfo">
      <DeviceCompanionApplications>
        <Package>
          <Identity Name="1e89da88-7d5a-49ba-a2f9-e1bab36481c9" Publisher="CN=c00129878" />
          <Applications>
            <Application Id="MobileControlMS" />
          </Applications>
        </Package>
      </DeviceCompanionApplications>
      <PrivilegedApplications>
        <Package>
          <Identity Name="1e89da88-7d5a-49ba-a2f9-e1bab36481c9" Publisher="CN=c00129878" AccessCustomDriver="true" />
        </Package>
      </PrivilegedApplications>
    </SoftwareInfo>

then how about testing this sample: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/BR206567

Regards,

Jenny

Monday, March 25, 2013 6:20 AM
  • actually, the PID&VID should be the one of mobile broadband device
    Monday, March 25, 2013 6:26 AM
  • the metadata you shared is used for MBAE app of operator, not for the windows store app.
    Monday, March 25, 2013 6:29 AM