accessing windows azure storage from on-premise asp.net web app RRS feed

• Question

• can we access azure storage via .net on-premise asp.net web app?

i notice that we can use storage client api (Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.dll), but it seems we need to refer the runtime dll as well, while I could not find one.

Btw, the on-premise server that host the app is Windows 2003 with .NET 2.0 installed.

Is it possible to access the blob storage? What need to be done, if yes?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:50 AM

Answers

• -- can we access azure storage via .net on-premise asp.net web app?

Windows Server 2003 & .NET 2.0 appears to be not supported by the Windows Azure SDK. However, the Windows Azure Storage Service REST API provides the definitive interface to Windows Azure Storage Services. You can access this with Windows Server 2003/.NET 2. I posted some examples of using the REST interface here.

FYI. The service runtime DLL should be installed along with the StorageClient dll when you install the Windows SDK. However, you probably can't install it on Windows Server 2003 & .NET 2.0 since they are unsupported.

• Proposed as answer by dropoutcoder Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:13 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Daniell.Chong Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by IAmJohnF Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wenchao Zeng Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:13 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 7:12 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Daniell,

I've never try to run the app that access azure storage from Win2003.

However, access azure storage with console app is possible. You may encounter some error due to client profile target framework.

As advise here, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/avkashchauhan/archive/2011/04/04/console-application-using-windows-azure-storage-client-library-with-windows-azure-sdk.aspx simply change it to .net 3.5 / 4.0.

regards, wely
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 12:49 PM

All replies

• -- can we access azure storage via .net on-premise asp.net web app?

Windows Server 2003 & .NET 2.0 appears to be not supported by the Windows Azure SDK. However, the Windows Azure Storage Service REST API provides the definitive interface to Windows Azure Storage Services. You can access this with Windows Server 2003/.NET 2. I posted some examples of using the REST interface here.

FYI. The service runtime DLL should be installed along with the StorageClient dll when you install the Windows SDK. However, you probably can't install it on Windows Server 2003 & .NET 2.0 since they are unsupported.

• Proposed as answer by dropoutcoder Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:13 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Daniell.Chong Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by IAmJohnF Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:23 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 7:12 AM
    Answerer
  • REST based API is too troublesome, I would prefer storage client library as developer would easily get familiar with the .NET library.

How If I manually copy the Windows Azure necessary DLL to my OS's assembly folder?

Can we still use that?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:15 PM
  • I very much doubt it.

You'll need to use REST or Windows Server 2008 R2/.net 3.5 sp1/client library.

Start with Neil's samples and wrap them in a class that makes it easy for the developers.  (probably what the product manager said at MS when the client library was born.)

Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:23 PM
  • hm... let me verify my question.

is it possible to access Windows Azure Storage via "storage client library" from a console / windows form app?

Saturday, June 4, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Hi Daniell,

I've never try to run the app that access azure storage from Win2003.

However, access azure storage with console app is possible. You may encounter some error due to client profile target framework.

As advise here, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/avkashchauhan/archive/2011/04/04/console-application-using-windows-azure-storage-client-library-with-windows-azure-sdk.aspx simply change it to .net 3.5 / 4.0.

regards, wely
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 12:49 PM